F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > No need to work out biceps?
GetBMWParts

05-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #45
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Silly boy.

If you want to work your bis, you need a faster internet connection for more pron. . .
*forearms
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #46
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Biceps are your vanity muscles

In all seriousness, a good routine of chin ups (with varying grips) will improve overall muscle gains in your back and your biceps at the same time. Nothing wrong with adding a few isolation moves to add some extra pump to your bi's though. If you want big ARMS as a whole though, work your tri's. Do lots and lots of pushups with varying forms (i.e. regular, military style, diamond) and your tri's will be on fire. You can also add different isolation workouts for tri's, but I find after doing a bunch of sets of different pushups, I can do very little with my triceps because they are smoked.
      05-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #47
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

In all seriousness, a good routine of chin ups (with varying grips) will improve overall muscle gains in your back and your biceps at the same time. Nothing wrong with adding a few isolation moves to add some extra pump to your bi's though. If you want big ARMS as a whole though, work your tri's. Do lots and lots of pushups with varying forms (i.e. regular, military style, diamond) and your tri's will be on fire. You can also add different isolation workouts for tri's, but I find after doing a bunch of sets of different pushups, I can do very little with my triceps because they are smoked.
I absolutely agree, triceps are a must to have a nice well rounded arm. But for me pushups are only great for toning. For growth I need heavy isolation workouts, my own body weight isn't sufficient enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #48
E92Snake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i/ Jet Black / Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
I agree with E92snake. It depends on what your goals are. I like to work out my arms because I want them to grow above and beyond. And by doing seperate arm workouts I have some pretty large arms. I leave my back days to focus strictly on my back and if I get some bi pumps while doing so thats great but it is not enough for me to consider an arm work out.
Thank you! Not everyone wants to be slender/muscular...im currently bulking up...I like the off season look myself better. Not when its outta control water balloon-ish though,lol
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #49
E92Snake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i/ Jet Black / Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
I absolutely agree, triceps are a must to have a nice well rounded arm. But for me pushups are only great for toning. For growth I need heavy isolation workouts, my own body weight isn't sufficient enough.
2/3 of your relaxed arm measurement is due to tri's...yeah, isolations for max growth!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #50
Chuntsman949
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
So i was talking to this juice head that works at starbucks and he laughed at me when I told him I do legs and biceps in one day. And I quote "brahh you don't need to work your biceps out, they get enough exercise when you're doing other muscles." I donno how I feel about this but if I don't work my biceps out they don't look as big.

Any truth to this?
a lot of truth actually, when you row you use biceps, when you do pull ups biceps, OH pressing uses the bicep, dealifts activate the biceps. It is true, a novice does not need direct bicep work.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #51
madmax95gtr
FBO WTF!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 99 Tacoma, 03 CBR 600RR

Ok read most of the post here...

Im a personal trainer, and working at competing in my first amature bb show this year.

Many of you support, both push pull/opposing muscle group ideas as well as brun outs

Bottom line is yes you have to work every group of muscles to build them propotionally. Yes you do use calfs to stabilize while doing standing dumbbell shoulder press but that doesnt mean you dont work calfs..

the guy is an idiot. And i do admit to using "juice" but only to push past natural limits of muscle growth and development, but dont let that base you judgement or opinion on me.

I do know what I am talking about here.. I train 4 people on a reg basis. To properly train muscles and build strength you must focus 3-4 exercises per major muscle group to achieve growth in that area.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #52
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Unless you got insanely good genetics that cause your arms to grow just by lifting a pencil then no you don't need to work your biceps. Take it from someone who's been in the game for years, YOU NEED TO WORK ALL YOUR BODY PARTS TO GROW. And do NOT negelect your legs, for one thing squats will make your whole damn body grow.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #53
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Snake View Post
Thank you! Not everyone wants to be slender/muscular...im currently bulking up...I like the off season look myself better. Not when its outta control water balloon-ish though,lol
This is why i throw in some arimidex and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #54
madmax95gtr
FBO WTF!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Unless you got insanely good genetics that cause your arms to grow just by lifting a pencil then no you don't need to work your biceps. Take it from someone who's been in the game for years, YOU NEED TO WORK ALL YOUR BODY PARTS TO GROW. And do NOT negelect your legs, for one thing squats will make your whole damn body grow.
THIS IS 100% the truth!! Squats for the win!!! xcept w my back ant do them too much any more sad story!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #55
madmax95gtr
FBO WTF!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
This is why i throw in some arimidex and call it a day.
hahah good call!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #56
karliejai
Da Kid
United_States
Rep
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i

hes actually right

MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #57
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
I do Biceps on days where I don't do anything that incorporates biceps into my workout. Like the days you do Legs...

I don't agree with the "brah @ starbucks".

If you have a good workout it doesn't really matter if you do them or not. I throw them in on chest day and do really heavy, strict form, various types of curls.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #58
lm1z
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Different ways to skin a cat.

IMO, as long as you're incorporating essential compound lifts into your workouts (ie. deadlifts, bench press, leg press, squats, cling & press), your arms will be good to go if you hit them once a week in addition to your other upper body workouts. It's all about release of growth hormone.

Do deadlifts and clings on back day.
Do squats and leg press (one-legged works well, too) on leg day.
Obviously do bench on chest day.

Working out your arms and legs on the same day doesn't give you much of an advantage. However, you will hit your arms harder because they are less fatigued.

----

My current workout is an upper body/lower body split, 2 times a week.

Monday/Thurs. - chest, back, shoulders, arms.
Tues/Fri. - legs

I only throw in one set of arms at the end of upper body days.
I notice that when I'm tired I will slack on arms and won't be sore the next day.
If you have the endurance to work them out properly you will definitely benefit from this, though.
      06-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #59
MsportF30white
F30 - Alpine white
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
So i was talking to this juice head that works at starbucks and he laughed at me when I told him I do legs and biceps in one day. And I quote "brahh you don't need to work your biceps out, they get enough exercise when you're doing other muscles." I donno how I feel about this but if I don't work my biceps out they don't look as big.

Any truth to this?

IMO, once a week is perfect. I make sure to do it a few days after my back workout because most back exercises incorporate the biceps in the compound movements of pulling (i.e. pullups/ chin ups/ rows/ etc.) Ultimately just listen to your body, eat right, and get enough rest so your muscles can grow. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #60
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuntsman949 View Post
a lot of truth actually, when you row you use biceps, when you do pull ups biceps, OH pressing uses the bicep, dealifts activate the biceps. It is true, a novice does not need direct bicep work.
I dead lift regularly and don't get any special bicep activation from it. Any pulling motion such as rows or lat pull downs definitely does though.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #61
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarwilli View Post
I have a shirt that says "NO CURLING IN THE SQUAT RACK!" for just such occasions
Haha. I'll admit I bench in the squat rack for the spotter bars but only during quiet times like saturday or sunday afternoon. Watching people curl in there is a combination of and though.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #62
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Wait did that guy at starbucks had a mohawk? Was he riding a bike with an Icon Torso protector over his t-shirt...if yes dont listen to that douche...if not dont listen to him. I have close friends who are pro athletes and my business partner is a trainer dont listen to these gym/starbucks guys most are clueless. PM me if you need some help for diet etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #63
Matto ELYTE
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

Curls get the girls

You are 100% right though, smash your triceps and your arms will explode....isolation exercises have their purposes, but yes, compound exercises will benefits much more as a whole.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #64
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matto ELYTE View Post
Curls get the girls

You are 100% right though, smash your triceps and your arms will explode....isolation exercises have their purposes, but yes, compound exercises will benefits much more as a whole.
Good point.

And one last thing. YOU A WEIGHT YOU CAN HANDLE!! I see some many guys curling with their egos and not their biceps. Do NOT swing the weight up using your shoulder and don't just drop it on the way down, most of the stimulation happens on the negative. The movement should be fluid, not too slow and not too fast.

To put it in the simplest terms. Saying that you do not need to work out biceps is like saying you don't need to get it hard before putting it "in".

Last edited by Delta0311; 06-29-2011 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #65
Lex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i M Sport Sport Wagon

Garage List
not working bi's might well be great for the starbucks guy, but each individual usually has those body parts that one dowsn't need to work out as hard as other parts. i.e. my shoulders don't take much work to get defined & I do just any easy work out for them; my chest however I've had to work very hard to get it to where I don't look silly. Bottom line to each his own!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #66
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

There is truth to what he says... I have seen people's arms/bis grow a lot from strength routines where they only bench/squat/deadlift/row. I'm not saying to stop doing your auxiliary exercises, just that he is not completely wrong.
Appreciate 0