F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Need to gain weight (muscle) after losing 60 lbs. NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS
Studio RSR

07-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #45
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
Because they eat... a lot.
Not all fat people eat a lot, but they do stay fat.

So back to my question. But i'll rephrase it to make it easier. Why do people cant lose weight even though they drink 0 calorie sodas.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #46
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post

So back to my question. But i'll rephrase it to make it easier. Why do people cant lose weight even though they drink 0 calorie sodas.
why dont you enlighten us... cause i've never seen a fat person eat nothing and stay fat... lol

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #47
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:

Thank you for rephrasing, that is so much better....

People stay FAT because they're in a fucking caloric surplus. I don't know what dumbass point you are trying to prove here.

They drink diet soda and skip the 120 calories from regular soda...

You're so lost on the topic of nutrition, it's rather sad. You also lack basic logic to realize calories in calories out.

Now I have a question for you.

Both of these people are looking to lose 1lb/wk. You do that from a deficit of 3500 calories a week.

Person A:

I eat 2500 calories in a day. I burn 3000 calories in a day, everyday. 500 calorie deficit.

As a baseline I hit 80/xx/180 - F/C/P. My diet is only Chicken, Olive Oil, and Brown rice.

Person B:

I eat 2500 calories in a day. I burn 3000 calories in a day, everyday. 500 calorie deficit.

As a baseline I hit 80/xx/180 - F/C/P. My diet is a mix of whole foods. I eat deli meat, steak, eggs, sweet potatoes, peanut butter, and homemade ice cream.

Question: Is there going to be a difference who loses weight faster?

Last edited by Quick6EF; 07-26-2011 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #48
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
why dont you enlighten us... cause i've never seen a fat person eat nothing and stay fat... lol
I didnt say they eat nothing. Read the question again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post

People stay FAT because they're in a fucking caloric surplus. I don't know what dumbass point you are trying to prove here.

You're so lost on the topic of nutrition, it's rather sad. You also lack basic logic to realize calories in calories out.
Since you such a smart ass, im going to rephrase my question again for you so your smart ass know it all can answer it for you self.

The question; Why do people dont lose weight even though they drink 0 calorie Sodas, or drink 10-120 calorie sodas??
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #49
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
maybe he's trying to talk about how diet soda still activates increased release of dopamine from your nucleus accumbens, and this just causes craving for not-so-good-for-you foods... but even so... you can still lose weight while drinking diet soda... it just depends on what else is in your diet.

there was this one professor who showed that losing and gaining weight was purely caloric dependent. he ate twinkies, doughnuts, and other bad foods throughout the day but limited the calories to like 1800-2000. i think he ended up losing weight or maintaining weight over the course of the study--can't recall whether the goal was to lose or maintain weight on a nutrient poor but normal caloric diet.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #50
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I didnt say they eat nothing. Read the question again.

Since you such a smart ass, im going to rephrase my question again for you so your smart ass know it all can answer it for you self.

The question; Why do people dont lose weight even though they drink 0 calorie Sodas, or drink 10-120 calorie sodas??
i still want your answer. i don't want to keep reading the question.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #51
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
2nd. You can eat 1,000 calories a day and not end up in the hospital. Its not about how much of calories you eat, but where those calories come from. Veggies have calories, and vegans live on a very low calorie diet, yet none of them ever went to a hospital because of low calorie consumption. You will lose weight if you consume low amount of calories, but you would have to end at 100lb or less to end up in the hospital.

Many people switch to a strict vegan diet for a month or more to lose a lot of weight safely while remaining healthy and become healthier in the process of doing so.

Simple question for you. Why do fat people stay fat even if they drink 0 calorie sodas??
I don't even know where to start. Cals in vs cals out. Just because fat people drink diet soda doesn't mean they're not gorging themselves later on. They're fat because they eat at a caloric surplus. It's thermodynamics. They are eating above maintenance. Also, 1000 calories is 1000 calories

Quote:

Now I have a question for you.

Both of these people are looking to lose 1lb/wk. You do that from a deficit of 3500 calories a week.

Person A:

As a baseline I hit 80/xx/180 - F/C/P. My diet is only Chicken, Olive Oil, and Brown rice.

Person B:

As a baseline I hit 80/xx/180 - F/C/P. My diet is a mix of whole foods. I eat deli meat, steak, eggs, sweet potatoes, peanut butter, and homemade ice cream.

Eating 2500 cals and burning 3000 cals is not a 500 calorie deficit. That's just netting 500 calories, which for me would be a 2000 calorie deficit
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #52
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
I don't even know where to start. Cals in vs cals out. Just because fat people drink diet soda doesn't mean they're not gorging themselves later on. They're fat because they eat at a caloric surplus. It's thermodynamics. They are eating above maintenance. Also, 1000 calories is 1000 calories

Eating 2500 cals and burning 3000 cals is not a 500 calorie deficit. That's just netting 500 calories, which for me would be a 2000 calorie deficit
Maintenance 3000.
Eat 2500.
500 Caloric deficit. What am I missing?

Also, please jump back a page and read some of KGB7's posts. Then come back and rage.

EDIT:

Quote:
I started working out again about a month ago, but this time i dont use any shakes or supplements, I just eat properly. The end result so far, im gaining muscle slower but at the same time im not gaining fat, i'm actually losing fat that i gained from drinking too much beer for the past 6 months.

So if you want to gain quality weight, stay away from shakes. It will take you longer to gain muscle but once you do, you wont lose it. Because shakes do help you gain mass faster, but you have too keep drinking them to keep muscles.

The only supplement you should be taking is mutli-vitamins.

Counting calories is pointless as well, because you can eat 1,000 calories a day and still gain fat. Its all about eating foods that are "alkaline". So you need to a Maintain a pH Balance. Too much acidic food will kill body cells and slow down muscle growth.

http://www.liquidvitaminsleader.com/...alkaline-foods
Quote:
1st. You confirmed what i said is true. If you take away the shakes, you start losing the things they gave you in the first place. It wont be over night, or over a week time. This what you assumed and why you jumped the gun.

2nd. You can eat 1,000 calories a day and not end up in the hospital. Its not about how much of calories you eat, but where those calories come from. Veggies have calories, and vegans live on a very low calorie diet, yet none of them ever went to a hospital because of low calorie consumption. You will lose weight if you consume low amount of calories, but you would have to end at 100lb or less to end up in the hospital.

Many people switch to a strict vegan diet for a month or more to lose a lot of weight safely while remaining healthy and become healthier in the process of doing so.

Simple question for you. Why do fat people stay fat even if they drink 0 calorie sodas??
      07-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #53
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

The answer is simple.

Diet soda slows your metabolism through a different mechanism. Diet soda is full of Phosphic Acid (H3PO4). This stuff is a caustic polyprotic acid, with a pH roughly around the level of battery acid. It is highly water soluble, and the soda company dilutes it in bubbly water to give your drink that bite you crave without burning your throat; but the acidity has to be accounted for by your body. In order to make up for the abundance of protons flying around due to our excessive consumption of acids, the body uses alkaline compound producing minerals. To combat the Phosphoric Acid, your body has to give up some Iodine. Actually, a lot of Iodine. And the thing Iodine is essential for is thyroid function.

The thyroid hormones travel through the bloodstream to every cell in the body, where they keep everything working optimally, like oil in an engine. Without enough thyroid hormone in its active state (T3), the metabolism slows down, resulting in lowered pulse rate, coldness, weight gain, and fatigue. Other body functions slow down as well — the mind can't function normally, skin becomes dry and flaky, hair falls out, muscles become cramped, and so on.

So its not just about how many calories you consume a day, its a about consuming good healthy calories. You can eat 3,000 calories a day and gain weight, or you can eat 3,000 calories a day and lose weight.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #54
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

durpity durp durp durp

So its not just about how many calories you consume a day, its a about consuming good healthy calories. You can eat 3,000 calories a day and gain weight, or you can eat 3,000 calories a day and lose weight.
You don't get it.

Please answer the question I posted above comparing two scenarios.

Oh, and nice copy paste and not citing. Sweet source!!! Some fucking shmo's blog...

http://www.naimul.com/why-do-diet-so...se-weight-gain

Quote:
Diet soda is full of Phosphic Acid (H3PO4). This stuff is a caustic polyprotic acid, with a pH roughly around the level of battery acid. It is highly water soluble, and the soda company dilutes it in bubbly water to give your drink that bite you crave without burning your throat; but the acidity has to be accounted for by your body. In order to make up for the abundance of protons flying around due to our excessive consumption of acids, the body uses alkaline compound producing minerals. To combat the Phosphoric Acid, your body has to give up some Iodine. Actually, a lot of Iodine. And the thing Iodine is essential for is thyroid function. I won't get into too much detail about how the thyroid works, but it requires Iodine to control the release of hormones that stimulate your metabolism. Your metabolism drives your body to burn glucose, breakdown fats, and use up the stuff you eat to make ATP and nutrients and all the other stuff you need to live. When we drink tons of diet soda, energy drinks, alcohol, and processed foods, we deplete our body of essential iodine because our body is constantly forced to combat the onslaught of acid. So we stop working properly, and we gain weight. Couple that with the mentality that drinking a zero calorie beverage gives us license to eat unhealthy foods, and the freedom to drink multiple cans for soda instead of water, and we start to have a big problem that builds day after day after day.
      07-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #55
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You don't get it.

Please answer the question I posted above comparing two scenarios.

Oh, and nice copy paste and not citing. Sweet source!!! Some fucking shmo's blog...

http://www.naimul.com/why-do-diet-so...se-weight-gain
When you get control of that pretty mouth yours, ill think about answering your question, or acknowledge anything you have to say.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #56
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When you get control of that pretty mouth yours, ill think about answering your question, or acknowledge anything you have to say.

Rigghhhht.

So you're avoiding the question so you stop looking foolish?

Get tougher skin and grow some. I didn't swear at you, I said that is some no-bodies blog.
      07-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #57
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Rigghhhht.

So you're avoiding the question so you stop looking foolish?
I just..... how should i put this in a nicest way possible.... I dont like talking to ass holes.

Take care.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #58
ojungoon
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezFox08 View Post
its all about diet, everyone has their own point and everyone has their own method, you just have to find yours because not everyones body reacts the same

for me i workout pretty much 7 days a week but i use a 4 day cycle

i have been hitting the gym for almost 2 years now but i didnt start doing things the right way until about a year ago

so my routine at the gym is like this

Day 1 an hour of Chest then 1 hour of abs and cardio
Day 2 an hour of shoulders then 1 hour of abs and cardio
Day 3 an hour of arms (tricep/biceps) then 1 hour of abs and cardio
Day 4 an hour on back then 1 hour of abs and cardio

you can change it up once in a while too because you dont want your body and muscle to get used to the same routine

always change things, muscle shave memories too, trick your body sometimes.

PS. i know i should be doing legs and stuff too im just lazy, but i will start soon

my weight was like this, before i join the gym i was 205lbs, then i drop down to 185 lbs and now i am back up to 200lbs

hope this helps
I totally agree about finding one's own method...

However, dude! you are not training your legs but training your abs every time you hit the gym? Sorry that's just stupid!
I bet you are one of those guys at the gym that have forearms bigger than their quads... ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #59
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
The answer is simple.

Diet soda slows your metabolism through a different mechanism. Diet soda is full of Phosphic Acid (H3PO4). This stuff is a caustic polyprotic acid, with a pH roughly around the level of battery acid. It is highly water soluble, and the soda company dilutes it in bubbly water to give your drink that bite you crave without burning your throat; but the acidity has to be accounted for by your body. In order to make up for the abundance of protons flying around due to our excessive consumption of acids, the body uses alkaline compound producing minerals. To combat the Phosphoric Acid, your body has to give up some Iodine. Actually, a lot of Iodine. And the thing Iodine is essential for is thyroid function.

The thyroid hormones travel through the bloodstream to every cell in the body, where they keep everything working optimally, like oil in an engine. Without enough thyroid hormone in its active state (T3), the metabolism slows down, resulting in lowered pulse rate, coldness, weight gain, and fatigue. Other body functions slow down as well — the mind can't function normally, skin becomes dry and flaky, hair falls out, muscles become cramped, and so on.

if all this is true... then it makes sense but at the same time i doubt drinking diet soda alone will prevent you from losing weight unless it's taken in extreme quantities. those people would be outliers... and not necessarily the norm of people who consume these products

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #60
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maintenance 3000.
Eat 2500.
500 Caloric deficit. What am I missing?
You said Eat 2500, burn 3000. I think you just mistyped but know what you're talking about. Lol at KGB7 who thinks you can lose weight or gain weight on 3000 cals. Cals in cals out. Thermodynamics. I could cut on 2000 calories of twinkies if i wanted to.

Cals in/cals out determines the amount of weight gained/lost

Cals In/Cals Out while meeting sufficient macros determine type of weight gained/lost (body comp.)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #61
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
You said Eat 2500, burn 3000. I think you just mistyped but know what you're talking about. Lol at KGB7 who thinks you can lose weight or gain weight on 3000 cals. Cals in cals out. Thermodynamics. I could cut on 2000 calories of twinkies if i wanted to.

Cals in/cals out determines the amount of weight gained/lost

Cals In/Cals Out while meeting sufficient macros determine type of weight gained/lost (body comp.)
Oops, good catch. Yes that is what I meant.

I wish I had more patience with this topic; I would have approached this guy much different. Oh well.
      07-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #62
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Oops, good catch. Yes that is what I meant.

I wish I had more patience with this topic; I would have approached this guy much different. Oh well.
i'm sure this conversation would be much better in person...

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #63
smokinHawk
623lb puller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340I XDrive MT Black

funny how some people think drinking diet soda is as good as drinking water.
Quote:
Person A:

Person B:

also if calories are the same and macro split the same, only difference from eating healthier versus any thing to fill those nutritional needs is how long you will live :P
mostly because of cholesterol and stuff that is not as good for your heart.
i still think though with more sugar (complex carbs) you will store more fat
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #64
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
funny how some people think drinking diet soda is as good as drinking water.

also if calories are the same and macro split the same, only difference from eating healthier versus any thing to fill those nutritional needs is how long you will live :P
mostly because of cholesterol and stuff that is not as good for your heart.
i still think though with more sugar (complex carbs) you will store more fat
Why would they be "storing" fat in a deficit?
      07-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #65
smokinHawk
623lb puller
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340I XDrive MT Black

when you lose weight its not only fat you lose, the weight can be taken from muscle.
so you wont be losing just fat, but more muscle then fat.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #66
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
when you lose weight its not only fat you lose, the weight can be taken from muscle.
so you wont be losing just fat, but more muscle then fat.
No. When you cut, you will lose some lean body mass, the amount depends on the length and quality of the cut. But if I cut 20 pounds, I will not lose "more muscle than fat," that would be ridiculous. You lose fat, water weight, glycogen, and some lean body mass.
Appreciate 0