F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Nutri-system + p90x = thoughts
GetBMWParts

07-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

Nutri-system + p90x = thoughts

I've got a buddy who is roughly 210lbs at 5'8. He used to be in pretty good shape in high school = 2004. He asks me for lifting and diet advice, I'm pretty solid at 5'10 190lbs. I am not a measuring cup brown rice kinda guy but I chose not to be but do know what is and isn't good for you. I can max leg press about 1000lbs, rep 10@645 lbs, I do high rep (25-30@135) on bench but usually hit 8-10 @ 225lbs and dead lift Max at around 400lbs or so. Just an example of my build.

He asks for my advice but doesn't take it more than 10% of the time, he's undisciplined and just doesn't what he wants regardless. Now his idea was well I'll do nutri-system and p90x w my gf... He has everything mapped out, the program is set for him and he's doing it. I may be wrong but I think it is a terrible idea. I would never do nutri system let alone mix it with high intensity workouts or getting bigger faster and stronger as a whole. I think one of the biggest parts of being an in shape individual is by using your own discipline and drive to do so not a pre mapped out diet that you become dependent of and a 90 day program.

Is mixing these two things healthy in a building and nutritional sense? I already feel it isn't and he should toss that nutri system crap away and develop the proper eating and training habits on his own but I can't imagine those diets to be muscle building and weight loss friendly.

I personally feel that it is my own diet and exercise effort that is what keeps me at the level of fitness and drive I am at. Far from perfect of course but still a solid performer. Thoughts?
      07-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

He's lazy and unmotivated - looking for an easy way to solve his weight problem which is being spoon fed a diet regime (no pun).

Show him the importance of proper nutrition while losing weight and if he won't listen, at least you tried.

He needs to intake healthy caloric levels, if he intakes too little, his progress will stall and he will not like he feels.
      07-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
EngineCo52
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Show him the importance of proper nutrition while losing weight and if he won't listen, at least you tried.

He needs to intake healthy caloric levels, if he intakes too little, his progress will stall and he will not like he feels.
well said...and with nutri system there is nooooo way he will be getting enough protein for the work out...

when i did P90x i got their meal plan, and mapped out per week what i was going to be eating, and went to the grocery store for that week.

all in all the 3 months, i went from 230lbs to 178lbs i was 5'9 so i looked like a short fat oompa loompa, but not after thattttt

E9x Picture Game-8 Points-Roundabout, Something Remarkable(stack of 50 g's), Cruise Memorabilia, Dirt Road w/ Trees, Michael Jackson, Police Station ,Dress-Up Funny, TPMS
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Lift heavy and eat at a deficit. The weight will drop incredibly fast considering his stats. No need for nutrisystem, or P90X really, even though it would be a good motivator i guess. I would just recommend hitting the weights hard, and eating clean at a deficit for a while.

After he sees results, he can focus more on the macros of his food, like 1g protein per pound of bodyweight, maybe a ketogenic diet, etc.
Appreciate 0