F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > About to start running
ARMA SPEED

10-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3, 2006 325i

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
About to start running

After long postponding this healthy and somewhat necessary excercise, I've signed up for running class. The goal is to run 5K in 10 weeks.

I missed the first class, but still have 9 weeks to go.

Got new Adidas Response Stability 3 running shoes and ready to go.

All words of encouragement and advises are welcome!
      10-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Good for you.
On the shoes, I use Asics. I have flat feet, and Asics is soo goood on my feet. Plus I use an insert called SOFGEL.
I am finally able to reach 7 miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Best advice I can give is to start every run slowly and gradually speed up. Setting off too fast usually ends in tears....
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Best advice I can give is to start every run slowly and gradually speed up. Setting off too fast usually ends in tears....
I agree.

Start with what you feel comfortable with and gradually increase. The key is to maintain a schedule of running at least every other day. Coming back after more than 3-4 days off will seem like undoing several days of running and starting back over.

Also, listen to your body. If a joint or muscle gives you pain, slow down and let it cool down before continuing. If something begins to hurt immediately after you commence running, go home and don't run for 1-2 days. Many problems will work out themselves if you gradually build up and don't stress a potential weak spot.

I use airmax 2010s and they are great for absorbing road. If you're running on roads, pay attention to how much impact your knees are taking.

удачи!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
gilbertb11
Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Try the marathon trainer's method. Run-walk-run method. Look it up. As for shoes, i'm in love with saucony. Was huge asics die-hard but saucony has really done me well.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
Good for you.
On the shoes, I use Asics. I have flat feet, and Asics is soo goood on my feet. Plus I use an insert called SOFGEL.
I am finally able to reach 7 miles.
Congratulations on 7 miles, that's better much than 5K goal in US.
I have flat feet as well. Running store recommended Asics and Saucony, but I got Adidas at another store. Running store did have some gel inserts, might ask them next time I'm there.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
I got free app for iPhone which has running plan by day. Full app has 10 weeks (I think), and free version has only first week. So, first and second days are warm up, walk - run, walk - run, walk - run, cool down, with more walking than running. For now, this pace feels perfect (especially more walking part).

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
I agree.

Start with what you feel comfortable with and gradually increase. The key is to maintain a schedule of running at least every other day. Coming back after more than 3-4 days off will seem like undoing several days of running and starting back over.

Also, listen to your body. If a joint or muscle gives you pain, slow down and let it cool down before continuing. If something begins to hurt immediately after you commence running, go home and don't run for 1-2 days. Many problems will work out themselves if you gradually build up and don't stress a potential weak spot.

I use airmax 2010s and they are great for absorbing road. If you're running on roads, pay attention to how much impact your knees are taking.

удачи!
The plan "dictated" by iPhone app seems perfect for now. More walking, and some running. Did two days in a row, so will take a break tomorrow.

When I ran, I did not feel any pain, other than discomfort after short runs, and when landing on a feet (don't know if landing part is because I could have bought better sneakers, or that I need to loose 20 pounds).

After first day my knees did hurt a little, but all pain was gone when I went for a walk-run on second day. Right now I'm little sore, but that's all.

Спасибо за советы!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertb11 View Post
Try the marathon trainer's method. Run-walk-run method. Look it up. As for shoes, i'm in love with saucony. Was huge asics die-hard but saucony has really done me well.
Great, that's what iPhone up had me do first couple days. Saucony was also recommended by running store, but I got Adidas. If I keep it up, and make myself run ofter, I might reconsider and pick different running shoes.

Thank you!
      10-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
CDN_135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Dont forget to add interval training into your routine.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_135i View Post
Dont forget to add interval training into your routine.
Would that be sprint for few seconds after walk?
What would be the best way to fit interval training into my routine?

Thanks.
      10-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
CDN_135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I personally hate intervals mainly because they make you work so damn hard. The length of the interval and recovery will be determined by what you want to work towards and your fitness level. I searched a few websites to get you started but it all comes down to you really.

http://www.therunningadvisor.com/Tra...html#intervals

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/...ining-workouts
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
After running on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday my left knee now hurts. It does not hurt when I walk, but it does hurt when I bend my knee.

Did I start out too fast? Will wait another day, before I resume.

CDN, thanks for links.
      10-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumer View Post
After running on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday my left knee now hurts. It does not hurt when I walk, but it does hurt when I bend my knee.

Did I start out too fast? Will wait another day, before I resume.

CDN, thanks for links.
Hi. I'm a regular runner, and have completed a marathon, and several half-marathons.

Yes, you likely started too fast. I recommend waiting to run again until all of the pain is gone. You likely have inflamed tissues.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Hi. I'm a regular runner, and have completed a marathon, and several half-marathons.

Yes, you likely started too fast. I recommend waiting to run again until all of the pain is gone. You likely have inflamed tissues.
Thank you Sam! Hopefully the pain will go away soon, because I can't wait to resume. )

And wow, marathon and several half-marathons!
      10-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

You will do great in the long-term. Attitude is everything, and don't get discouraged.

Once you get in a good routine, you will likely find your self "needing" to run every few days, else you feel like a big slug

I always say, nothing like a good sweat and some heavy breathing to clear the mind and keep the body happy
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #14
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Agreed to start slowly and work your way up. Even when you feel like you can handle a really long run (in relative terms) because your cardio has become good enough, it doesn't necessarily mean your legs can do it yet.

One thing I always tell people is to know the difference between muscle pains (which usually aren't a big deal) and joint / tendon pains (which are a big deal). Long story short is - if it hurts, don't go.

I have some really old New Balance shoes. There's an entire school of thought (one which makes some sense to me) that less is more. Big fat comfy gel blah blah shoes may absorb impact which sounds good but can cause everything to shift around on that impact, and your ankles and knees can be easily overworked. "Worn out" shoes, or things like the Vibram 5 fingers basically protect your skin on the bottom of your feet but that's about all, and that's all that is needed. Your foot, achilles tendon, and everything else are designed for you to be able to run and cushy shoes just hinder that. I'm not advising this, but it's food for thought. I have tried a few different running shoes over the years and always go back to my worn out NB's as the things that don't make me hurt.

Anyhow start slow and work your way up. You'll get there.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #15
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
One thing I always tell people is to know the difference between muscle pains (which usually aren't a big deal) and joint / tendon pains (which are a big deal). Long story short is - if it hurts, don't go.
I could not have said it better. Listening to your body is the best advice I can give you. I ran in my high school days and while on active duty in the Marine Corps. I started back running about 3 years ago and love every mile I log. When I'm gearing up for a marathon or a half I average about 30 miles a week. Unfortunately I'll be sidelined for the 2012 Houston marathon because of a torn meniscus in my right knee . Surgery is scheduled for December so I'll have to relax until early spring. Just a quick recommendation.....the Nike+ website is a great place to start your training. All you'll really need is a sensor and receiver kit. The programs are very good. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you're progressing .........................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
H2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

Not to rush things along too much. Have you established any longer terms goals (other than completing a 5K)? Perhaps run a marathon next Fall or the year after? Your first marathon will be something to remember (both for the experience and the accomplishment). Good luck with starting out with your running regimen. Also, if you're intending to track your progress and to keep improving your times, don't be discouraged if you seem to plateau (or even slide back a little). It's all part of the process and it's the long-term trend that counts.
      10-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #17
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You will do great in the long-term. Attitude is everything, and don't get discouraged.

Once you get in a good routine, you will likely find your self "needing" to run every few days, else you feel like a big slug

I always say, nothing like a good sweat and some heavy breathing to clear the mind and keep the body happy
Thanks Sam! My positive attitude is like a fuel. I'm trying to to think about pain, but what I will do after it's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Agreed to start slowly and work your way up. Even when you feel like you can handle a really long run (in relative terms) because your cardio has become good enough, it doesn't necessarily mean your legs can do it yet.

I have some really old New Balance shoes. There's an entire school of thought (one which makes some sense to me) that less is more. Big fat comfy gel blah blah shoes may absorb impact which sounds good but can cause everything to shift around on that impact, and your ankles and knees can be easily overworked. "Worn out" shoes, or things like the Vibram 5 fingers basically protect your skin on the bottom of your feet but that's about all, and that's all that is needed. Your foot, achilles tendon, and everything else are designed for you to be able to run and cushy shoes just hinder that. I'm not advising this, but it's food for thought. I have tried a few different running shoes over the years and always go back to my worn out NB's as the things that don't make me hurt.

Anyhow start slow and work your way up. You'll get there.

Thank you! Right now, I am just waiting for the pain to go away, trying not to rush.

Is there an easy way to say if it's a muscle pain or joints? The pain is still there, and as before it does not bother me when I walk, but noticeable when I sit or walk stairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
I could not have said it better. Listening to your body is the best advice I can give you. I ran in my high school days and while on active duty in the Marine Corps. I started back running about 3 years ago and love every mile I log. When I'm gearing up for a marathon or a half I average about 30 miles a week. Unfortunately I'll be sidelined for the 2012 Houston marathon because of a torn meniscus in my right knee . Surgery is scheduled for December so I'll have to relax until early spring. Just a quick recommendation.....the Nike+ website is a great place to start your training. All you'll really need is a sensor and receiver kit. The programs are very good. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you're progressing .........................Phil
Phil, thank you! Lots of new stuff on Nike+ website. The idea of different programs and tracking everything seems great! I might drive to Nike store and just look at Nike+. Would I have to get Nike+ shoes, or there are any gadgets that will work without them?

Good luck on your surgery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 View Post
Not to rush things along too much. Have you established any longer terms goals (other than completing a 5K)? Perhaps run a marathon next Fall or the year after? Your first marathon will be something to remember (both for the experience and the accomplishment). Good luck with starting out with your running regimen. Also, if you're intending to track your progress and to keep improving your times, don't be discouraged if you seem to plateau (or even slide back a little). It's all part of the process and it's the long-term trend that counts.
Thank you! Although I'm afraid to plan too far ahead because things have a tendency to go wrong when I do, but running half-marathon would be on my list of goals. And as soon as my pain from rushing things goes away (hopefully it goes away) I am going to resume. I'll also have to check out Nike+ as Phil suggested, which should help with tracking progress.
      10-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #18
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumer View Post
Phil, thank you! Lots of new stuff on Nike+ website. The idea of different programs and tracking everything seems great! I might drive to Nike store and just look at Nike+. Would I have to get Nike+ shoes, or there are any gadgets that will work without them?

Good luck on your surgery!
Bumer, thanks for the well wishes......and Nike+ shoes aren't a must. You would have to purchase a pouch for one of your shoes and put the sensor in it. A Nike + shoe has a sensor holder under the left insole. If you already have a iPod or iPhone you're ready to go. Don't rush to get back....take time to heal and rediscover the freedom of the run ..........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Bumer, thanks for the well wishes......and Nike+ shoes aren't a must. You would have to purchase a pouch for one of your shoes and put the sensor in it. A Nike + shoe has a sensor holder under the left insole. If you already have a iPod or iPhone you're ready to go. Don't rush to get back....take time to heal and rediscover the freedom of the run ..........Phil
Phil, I do have an iPhone. Does that mean I don't need Nike sensor? I looked at Nike+ website, and could not find if I needed sensor or not, but it does look like sensor is designed for iPod.

Tomorrow morning I will try to run. My knee still has some pain, but I tried to jump a little, and I don't feel any pain when I do that. Only when I sit. To me that strange, but it seems that I can probably run.

BTW, anyone have an advise on carrying iPhone while running?
Armband, or a special pouch? Can you recommend any specific one?
      10-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #20
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Bumer, you need the receiver and sensor. The receiver plugs into your iPhone and the sensor goes in your shoe. You can purchase them as a set. You can also get a armband for your iPhone.....look at the Nike or Belkin one.........Phil
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #21
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

All of this run talk made me get out this morning. I just finished a 5.5 mile run and my pace was off obviously but I still managed about a 9 minute mile I don't know what I'm going to do once I go under the knife ...........Phil
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #22
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Bumer, you need the receiver and sensor. The receiver plugs into your iPhone and the sensor goes in your shoe. You can purchase them as a set. You can also get a armband for your iPhone.....look at the Nike or Belkin one.........Phil
Quote:
All of this run talk made me get out this morning. I just finished a 5.5 mile run and my pace was off obviously but I still managed about a 9 minute mile I don't know what I'm going to do once I go under the knife ...........Phil
Great! I'm going to Nike outlet store to check it out. Hope outlet store has them, otherwise will have to travel to regular store. May be they have armband too.

I'm glad this run talk was an inspiration for you as well! Is 9 minute mile not good time? Seems fine to me. Think positive about surgery Phil! What has to be done, has to be done, right?

BTW, I did run-walk intervals today for 2 miles, and the knee did not bother me. I still feel pain when I bend it, but not much during walking / running.