F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Help a Fat Kid Out....
proTUNING Freaks

11-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #23
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
Simple join a MMA gym... take all courses Tae Kwon Do / Jujitzu / Muay Thai Kickboxing / Judo .... start there
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #24
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3, 2006 325i

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Hey Jank,

For you best start would be elliptical. It can give you great workout in 20-40 minutes. Since you travel often you should have access to it at hotels you stay.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but since you "fat", I don't think you should try to start running at the moment. Although that is great way to lose some weight, you don't want that extra fat to stress your knees, until you lose few.
      11-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #25
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarwilli View Post
Agreed! No such thing as so called "lean muscle" that low weight high rep is "supposed" to build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
if you're referring to your misguided recommendation, broscience for sure.
it's a well known fact that medium weight and high reps burn fat and tone the muscles. There's no argument on that point.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #26
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
if you're referring to your misguided recommendation, broscience for sure.
it's a well known fact that medium weight and high reps burn fat and tone the muscles. There's no argument on that point.
What do you mean by "tone" your muscles? You do understand losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously is not possible, right?
      11-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #27
aarwilli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post

Quote:
My sentiment exactly. Is that a well known fact?? High reps at a modest weight tends to build larger muscles where low reps at a higher weight (near your threshold) tends to build power/strength. Size is needed to get more power however, so switching back and forth between these modes helps one get over plateaus.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #28
akdoc
BMW for life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Garage List
Jank

There is lots of advice here. Anyone commenting here a doctor? There are lots of different ways to lose weight, some healthy, some not. There are many many factors that need to be looked at: age, height, current weight, any other health problems (diabetes, heart issues, high blood pressure, etc), foods you currently eat, any allergies to anything including the foods you eat (if you know them), the time you eat, how much you eat of what type of food and the list continues.

It is very important to speak to someone who can guide you through this process who has the education, experience and knowledge on this topic. Listening to others and their experiences are very beneficial but they are not you with your specific body type, age, metabolism, food sensitivities, etc.

My recommendation is to speak to someone who has the education, degrees and proven experience on this road. Most important is that you don't go down this road by yourself. Make sure you have someone support you on this because it can get very hard at times to stick with your program and you may need someone to talk to when the going gets tuff.

If you have any questions, you can PM me and good luck. Remember, slow and steady wins the race, not fast. These are going to be life long/lifestyle changes and they take time.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #29
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
What do you mean by "tone" your muscles? You do understand losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously is not possible, right?
wtf is toning lol...

its not possible to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously depending on your body type.

if you are lean and already have significant muscle mass, you won't be putting on 20 pounds of muscle without bulking... however if you are a fat kid in the literal sense, it is quite possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. at one point, you won't be able to get more gains without bulking...

a lot of the bodybuilding.com stuff doesn't take into account the average person. they're answers for bodybuilders...

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #30
Weird Side Effect
Side effects may include...
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3, e46 M3

Quote:

Can you explain this? I lost weight AND gained muscle when I started working out. I had to start eating more protein to do it though.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #31
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Side Effect View Post
Quote:

Can you explain this? I lost weight AND gained muscle when I started working out. I had to start eating more protein to do it though.
One requires a caloric surpluss, the other a deficit.

How would one 'gain' muscle while eating less calories than their body requires? Think about it.
      11-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #32
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

No need to quote akdoc, but thanks for contributing nothing to this thread.

I lol'd at your comment on meal timing as well.
      11-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #33
Weird Side Effect
United_States
Rep

Quote:

How would one 'gain' muscle while eating less calories than their body requires? Think about it.

Gotcha, but I was able to do it. However, losing weight first was more my intentions. I didnt have HUGE gains, although trying to build big muscles wasnt my goal either. I just wanted to lose weight. I am broad shouldered and have nice muscle mass to begin with anyway, but I like the toned look.

I was just curious to your reasoning as to why. BTW, try not to come across so defensive.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #34
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Gotcha, but I was able to do it. However, losing weight first was more my intentions. I didnt have HUGE gains, although trying to build big muscles wasnt my goal either. I just wanted to lose weight. I am broad shouldered and have nice muscle mass to begin with anyway, but I like the toned look.

I was just curious to your reasoning as to why. BTW, try not to come across so defensive.
how much did you weigh/what was your body fat %age? and what is it now?

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #35
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

when you first start lifting for the first time, there are newbie gains, but those don't last long.

Thats why you get a lot of young guys who start lifting for the first time obsessing over arms - their bi's blow up (meanwhile everything else lags).
      11-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #36
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

admitting you have a problem and want to do something about it is a huge step, sir. Nothing works better than pure motivation and wanting it bad enough...

Weight loss is extremely dependent on diet. plain and simple. Quick Tips: cut out white sugars(soft drinks, candy, etc.).cut down on white carbs for a few months to jump start your body to start burning more fat instead of building it. Eat more greens/vegetables in your diet.

work out in anyway you like as long as you're burning calories some way and keeping to a consistent healthy diet, you will lose weight. I personally prefered lifting heavy weights half the week, then cardio the other half. mixing it up helps alot.

posted a thread up a few months ago that showed my weight loss over the span of only 7 months... just have to want it bad enough!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #37
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quick6ef is right, you can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. The best thing you can do is minimize muscle loss as you're cutting down. I learned a lot after reading up on the BB forums and checking out a lot of Quick's articles/information.

Weight loss/gain is actually an extremely basic concept. There aren't any tricks. If someone says otherwise, it's most likely a personal illusion based off of inexperience or bro science.

I had a hard time explaining how meal timing was debunked to my co-workers at the gym.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #38
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Studies also show that rep count is irrelevant (to a degree) so long as muscular failure is reached. Effort is more important than count.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #39
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Quick6ef is right, you can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. The best thing you can do is minimize muscle loss as you're cutting down. I learned a lot after reading up on the BB forums and checking out a lot of Quick's articles/information.

Weight loss/gain is actually an extremely basic concept. There aren't any tricks. If someone says otherwise, it's most likely a personal illusion based off of inexperience or bro science.

I had a hard time explaining how meal timing was debunked to my co-workers at the gym.
That is why macro (protein intake) is important to minimise muscle loss!

yeah tell me about it, I gave up on explaining meal timing lol...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #40
Weird Side Effect
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
how much did you weigh/what was your body fat %age? and what is it now?

I cant tell you fat%, as I did not check it. I just know that I gained muscle by the way I look. But like I said, gaining muscle hasnt been my goal. Losing weight and getting toned is/was my goal. I will bulk a little soon, but not at the moment. And again, like I said, my muscle gain while Ive been losing weight hasnt been huge, and it has slowed down.

I was 190 and dropped to 170 in a month. I now weigh 158.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #41
Weird Side Effect
United_States
Rep

Quote:
when you first start lifting for the first time, there are newbie gains, but those don't last long.

Thats why you get a lot of young guys who start lifting for the first time obsessing over arms - their bi's blow up (meanwhile everything else lags).

Ive never been one to obsess over how large my arms are, etc... No need for that. Not in the game to get huge and bulky either.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #42
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
I cant tell you fat%, as I did not check it. I just know that I gained muscle by the way I look. But like I said, gaining muscle hasnt been my goal. Losing weight and getting toned is/was my goal. I will bulk a little soon, but not at the moment. And again, like I said, my muscle gain while Ive been losing weight hasnt been huge, and it has slowed down.

I was 190 and dropped to 170 in a month. I now weigh 158.
Did you measure any of your muscle gains? I ask only because as you have shed lots of fat, your muscle became more visible and appear bigger but not necessarly be bigger.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #43
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

I'm certainly not a weight loss expert, nor am I anything close to an exercise guru. What I can tell you, however, is that I lost almost 50 lbs. last year over the course of about 2.5 months and I made only two basic changes to my lifestyle.

One, I started monitoring very closely what I was eating. As has been mentioned in this thread already, it matters a great deal what your daily caloric intake is. This is not to say that I started eating only "healthy" foods and gave up all junk food, etc. Not at all, in fact. I found very quickly that there were days when I was far under my daily caloric allottment, and there were days when I was over. The important part was that it all balanced out to a daily average.

Change two was exercising for 30 minutes a day, six days a week. For me, it was running. I actually followed a "couch-to-5k" routine, but I'm sure any 30-minute cardio workout would work. I have a full-time job and I'm in graduate school so free time is essentially non-existent in my life. But, 30-minute exercise routines at home (e.g., running) are perfectly doable and manageable and so I had no excuse.

Not gonna lie, the first three weeks or so of this new routine (monitoring what I ate and exercise) were horrible. I was tired all the time, and felt like I had less energy than before I started my new routine. I was also hot all the time, which I couldn't figure out for the life of me, being that it was January/February. But, I was determined to make this work and after about the fourth week, I started noticing that my clothes were too big and that I had more energy at weird times of the day when I ordinarily wouldn't (mid-day, for instance). I stuck with it and after about a total of about eight weeks, I had lost just about 50 lbs. It felt amazing to know that I accomplished what I set out to do and it felt even more amazing getting complements from loved ones and acquaintences alike about how great I looked. Now, just about a year later, I'm not exercising as frequently as I was previously but I'm still maintaining the weight loss. Even when I was hospitalized and put through two surgeries, I only gained about five pounds back. I'll be taking a break from school shortly and I can't wait to get back on the full exercise routine and hopefully lose another 20 lbs. or so.

Good luck to you, OP!!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #44
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Get a titanium exhaust system. It's the same as losing 25lbs

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0