F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Shouldn't we be more proud knowing that BMW...?
proTUNING Freaks

04-29-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Shouldn't we be more proud knowing that BMW...?

While I was reading about BMW M1 Hommage..

I found out that formal world's fastest legal production car, McLaren F1, which is still holding the record for being the fastest car for the longest time(94-05), and STILL is the fastest naturally aspirated motor car in the world had a BMW engine by BMW M division.

The spec of the engine that McLaren asked for was pretty tough one too. He asked for an engine that pumps out 550hp+ with weight limit of 250kg. BMW was able to make an engine that weighs about 16kg more, but pumping out additional 14% more power than Mclaren asked for(627hp/697hp).

To me, that was crazy. McLaren F1 started this whole new era of ultra race-inspired vehicles. And the heart was made by BMW. I remember reading a thread about how BMW had to make F/I engines because their N/A engine technology is reaching its maximum. I hardly doubt that a company that produced a reliable race-inspired motor pumping out 627hp N/A about 14 years ago is already running out of room on technical knowledge of naturally aspirated engines.

Who the hell knows. Maybe if we somehow future of the car keeps on depending on gasoline, we might be able to see 600hp 3 series for the last N/A engined 3 series before we all die.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

old news but yes. . . . why do you think theres a McLaren F1 with BMW M colored checkers all over it sitting in the BMW Mobile Tradition facility haha, and the McLaren F1 and BMW go hand in hand. In Gran Turismo 4, the McLaren F1 was listed under the BMW's.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
old news but yes. . . . why do you think theres a McLaren F1 with BMW M colored checkers all over it sitting in the BMW Mobile Tradition facility haha, and the McLaren F1 and BMW go hand in hand. In Gran Turismo 4, the McLaren F1 was listed under the BMW's.
Yeah I guessed that it would be an old news to most of the people since it was such long time ago and well known. somehow I didn't know and started making me proud.

I always thought McLaren was more of Mercedes somehow. Why was I trippin'.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: Yes

McLaren has only become more with mercedes since 2003 for the development and debut of the SLR McLaren.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Yep... .good ole BMW 6.1L V12

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
SteelTorque
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

I believe it also holds the record for the fastest production car around Numburing at 7:11
      04-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

hahah, there was nothing reliable or "production" about that motor. It was basically a race engine in a consumer car shell. It required the maintenance of a race car and the expense of a race car. Didn't BMW end up using a very very slightly varied version of it for Le Mans?

When you get down to it, getting to 231mph is huge. It's a huge feat for any engine company... but push come to shove, chassis design is probably more important in getting there in a car pushing less than 600+hp. You think of all the 600+hp cars now and none of them max out at the redline like the Mclaren did... they're all drag limited. So whoever designed that body with the 0.32 drag coefficient should get more of the honor, IMO.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post

I wouldn't say it is old news....BMW builds the best engines. The current M engines make the same power / liter (roughly) as the McLaren F1.....

Big displacement normally aspirated engines with 100+ hp / liter is where BMW has few rivals, in fact, I can only think of Ferrari. Honda makes awesome small displacement engines....but big'uns...BMW rule.

Big displacement engines like the AMGs are nice but boring. You have to know what you are doing to squeeze 100 hp+ / liter.
      04-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Big displacement normally aspirated engines with 100+ hp / liter is where BMW has few rivals, in fact, I can only think of Ferrari.
Porsche...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Porsche...

Aside from the CGT V10, what big engine are you talking about (i.e. > 4.0 liters).
      04-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Aside from the CGT V10, what big engine are you talking about (i.e. > 4.0 liters).
You just said it. 5.7 liters is pretty big and it's in excess of 100hp/liter. The squeeze even more out of the smaller engines ala GT3. What big engines are you talking about from BMW except the V10 in the M5/6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0