F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > For those Gym/Workout Peeps on here...
Studio RSR

07-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #23
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
how much protein do you take? I read in various fitness magazines that to get bigger you should be consuming protein equivalent to your body weight daily. So if you're 220lbs you should get 220 grams of protein per day.

High weight with low reps is supposed to increase size as well. If you can consistently do 10 reps of 4 sets I would increase the weight so you do something like 8 reps your first set, 6, 4, then 3. Or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #24
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

There's all kinds of crap out there about how much protein to take, but last I heard, it's supposed to be 1 gram of protein per pound lean mass, not per pound body weight. Anyway, your body is only capable of digesting about 20-25g of protein per hour on average, so taking massive amounts at once is a waste.

But there are all kinds of conflicting studies out there, and every one of them insists they are right.

Do you have the New Encyclopedia? All of this is in there, and it's really an incredible reference for varying your exercises, pinpointing weak spots, shaping, and even nutrition. Best book ever published IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #25
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

thanks for all the input guys!!!

I think I do need to start incorporating a little bit more cardio into the workout.....i dont do much to begin with on a weekly basis.
I've read in a few articles that doing cardio after a workout can completely negate everything you just did with weights...any of you guys hear that?

I do think I need to dedicate one full workout session to cardio, then leave the other days to lifting. Either way...I usually workout on a weekly basis:
Day 1: Chest/Triceps
Day 2: Back/Biceps
Day 3: Off
Day 4: Shoulders/Legs (will now start incorporating squats!)
Day 5: Biceps/Triceps*
Day 6: Off
Day 7: Chest

*I try an substitute a muscle group that varies each week, so each week I'm working out a group of muscles twice.

That look good to you guys....my working it too much???
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #26
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post

I think I do need to start incorporating a little bit more cardio into the workout.....i dont do much to begin with on a weekly basis.
I've read in a few articles that doing cardio after a workout can completely negate everything you just did with weights...any of you guys hear that?

I do think I need to dedicate one full workout session to cardio, then leave the other days to lifting. Either way...I usually workout on a weekly basis:

*I try an substitute a muscle group that varies each week, so each week I'm working out a group of muscles twice.

What??!??

That sounds like a load of garbage. And what is their explanation for that?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #27
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 C

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
Quote:

Wow, you are working upper body 4x's (5 if I count day #4) and 1 day for legs?
If you are looking to shake things up, go do a search for Bill Star's routine (5x5)
I've been told time and time again from less than credible sources that running will negate any muscle gain....guess these same people never looked at 100m sprinters.
07 E90 335, UR Exh, Helix IC, Bav Sport Coils, iForged Swift- sold
E46 M3 - gone and always missed
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #28
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

It still is beyond me how people can say running will negate muscle gain. That's gotta be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Sprinters are some of the most muscular people you will ever see.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #29
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

These threads are chalk FULL of fail.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #30
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
These threads are chalk FULL of fail.
Failing to point out failure.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #31
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
It still is beyond me how people can say running will negate muscle gain. That's gotta be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Sprinters are some of the most muscular people you will ever see.
Well what happened to marathoners then? Aerobic (long duration, low intensity) vs anaerobic conditioning (short duration, high intensity). One is catabolic; the other is anabolic.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #32
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Failing to point out failure.
Huh?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #33
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well what happened to marathoners then? Aerobic (long duration, low intensity) vs anaerobic conditioning (short duration, high intensity). One is catabolic; the other is anabolic.
What exactly are you trying to say here?

And yes, I know what aerobic, anaerobic, catabolic/anabolic is.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #34
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Huh?
"Chock" full of fail
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #35
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Chock" full of fail
Honest mistake, Capt of the spelling patrol.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #36
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What exactly are you trying to say here?

And yes, I know what aerobic, anaerobic, catabolic/anabolic is.
Catabolic - muscle wasting - skinny ass marathoners

Anabolic - muscle building - muscular sprinters

The type of running will determine the effect of training. You can lose muscle by running as long duration, low intensity exercise produces a mega cortisol (stress hormone) response which is a catabolic hormone. Too much cortisol production will also lead to lowered testosterone as a result of something called pregnenalone steal.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #37
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Catabolic - muscle wasting - skinny ass marathoners

Anabolic - muscle building - muscular sprinters

The type of running will determine the effect of training. You can lose muscle by running as long duration, low intensity exercise produces a mega cortisol (stress hormone) response which is a catabolic hormone. Too much cortisol production will also lead to lowered testosterone as a result of something called pregnenalone steal.
I think this would be highly improbable for the distances most people run on a treadmill in a gym. For example, I run a mile after my workouts. In that distance, most of my glycogen stores were used up in the initial workout, now my body is using fat, hence the advantage to running after workout.

I think muscle breakdown would only occur with super long distances, like 30+ miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #38
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think this would be highly improbable for the distances most people run on a treadmill in a gym. For example, I run a mile after my workouts. In that distance, most of my glycogen stores were used up in the initial workout, now my body is using fat, hence the advantage to running after workout.

I think muscle breakdown would only occur with super long distances, like 30+ miles.
Not if you're already stressed (cortisol) from work, poor diet, dehydration, financial stress, etc. The need for long duration cardiovascular exercise is marketing at its finest. We made treadmills, we need to sell them somehow.

Gluconeogenesis. That's all I'll say. Your idea of burning fat as fuel does not always occur. It depends upon your nutrient intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #39
AcMilan714
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i, e36 325is.

Quote:

Day 3/7 or just one at least. Do legs my friend HARD!! And thank me later.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #40
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 C

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe I mentioned sprinters and not marathoners....

Well if you are able to point that out, I'm certain you have recognized the merits of HIT type of training and how it is now the preferred method to efficiently lose fat.

Let's consider the OP goals for a moment. He indicated he is plenty strong by his accounts and has difficulty in seeing his muscle...do you believe the same pattern of weightlifting will remove the fat from his body? Yes, you bring up very valid points on other contributing factors such as stress and nutrition and those also need to be factored in, but in my experience it is easier to get someone to address training then dieting/lifestyle.
07 E90 335, UR Exh, Helix IC, Bav Sport Coils, iForged Swift- sold
E46 M3 - gone and always missed
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #41
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcMilan714 View Post
Day 3/7 or just one at least. Do legs my friend HARD!! And thank me later.
done and done.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #42
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

How old are you? Makes a huge difference in what works.

I was in your same shoes around 30. I rotated through everything in 6 days, including leg work. I swear, there were points where I thought I was shrinking!

Finally said screw it, all this work for what?? So I backed off, took a few weeks off then went to chest/arms week one, shoulders/back/legs week two, med weights / med reps. About a month into I was bigger then ever. Try taking a break.

Now at 39 I also surf a couple times a week and practice martial arts which makes up my cardio, and hit the gym twice a week. No longer a gym rat but I'm in better shape then most 40 year olds, or 30 year olds for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #43
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
How old are you? Makes a huge difference in what works.

I was in your same shoes around 30. I rotated through everything in 6 days, including leg work. I swear, there were points where I thought I was shrinking!

Finally said screw it, all this work for what?? So I backed off, took a few weeks off then went to chest/arms week one, shoulders/back/legs week two, med weights / med reps. About a month into I was bigger then ever. Try taking a break.

Now at 39 I also surf a couple times a week and practice martial arts which makes up my cardio, and hit the gym twice a week. No longer a gym rat but I'm in better shape then most 40 year olds, or 30 year olds for that matter.

just turned 25 a month ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #44
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Building mass and increasing definition really can't be used in the same sentence.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0