F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Questions for former E70 Owners....
Extreme Powerhouse

08-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #1
sknaffl4
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 E70 35d

Questions for former E70 Owners....

Hello All--- I am currently the happy owner of a 2013 x5 diesel. First off..let me say I'm a car guy and I've lurked on here for a while gaining insight on various projects for my ride. I am notorious for trading in every 2-3 years as I generally get bored with a car, but my X5..I truly love. It has just about every option offered, including HUD.

Having owned several high end Euro and Japanese cars over the years, this was my first relatively modern BMW. With the exception of my Saab 900 SPG I had in school, The X5 has been my favorite car I've owned. I bought it with 30k as a lease trade in. So....5 years later...it is time to start thinking about something different as it is getting a bit long in the tooth. The issue is...every newer BMW I've driven, in my opinion, doesn't drive as well as my E70. I've test driven an F15, a G05 as well as an e400 wagon, Volvo V90, and XC90. All on 2-3 hour test drives. The MDX Type S is on my radar when it comes out as well.

One of the things I immediately liked about my E70 was the heavy steering and the planted feeling it had. I put some Koni active struts on which made the ride fantastic and sporty. It seems every newer car I drive, the steering is so light and with the multiple gear transmissions that shift so often, it seems to take away the torque feel I get from mine..even though the newer ones are faster. The G05 feels huge to me, but did handle better than the F15. In all fairness, I have not driven a 2018 F15 diesel...which my dealer says had steering improvements vs the previous F15's and is loads better than my E70.

Since it doesn't look like I'll ever be able to get a 2021 530d wagon in the states, my question to you enthusiasts is....what did you buy after your E70 that you were happier with? Is my dislike of the light steering something that just needs getting used to...or is that a real thing? For the record...I drive my cars to the limit regularly...and the X5 has taken everything I've thrown at it. Is the G05 or F15 something that can do the same and did you adjust after upgrading? Or...did you move to another brand. Or worse...did you never really find anything as good?

Thanks for any insight!
Appreciate 1
Fritzer944.50
      08-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

I had a 2012 X5 35d in the family when those were new. Loved that car, one of the best and underrated powertrains BMW has manufactured in a long time.

They did make a F15 X5 35d for a few years, maybe that if you're stuck on the X5 bug. Although, I think instead of getting a new X5, keep the E70 and look at E90 335d cars. E90 chassis + same 3.0 Turbo Diesel. If you want to get really crazy, I've seen people swap that powertrain into E91 3er and E61 5er wagons. I know for a fact that they made F31 328d wagons, F10 535d for a few years, and I believe they made a F11 535d wagon for a year or two in the US. But very rare.

Lots of fun diesel options, despite BMW deciding that Americans don't deserve diesel engines anymore....
      08-10-2021, 04:39 PM   #3
sknaffl4
Registered
United_States
Rep

Thanks Fritzer-- I'm not stuck on the X5, but it is the benchmark for looking at something new. I'm ready for more modern bells and whistles....and newer interiors...hence the desire to upgrade.

Diesel would be preferred...but I don't think we're gonna get any of the good Euro power trains anymore. Thanks VW. So...I guess I will keep looking. I've heard the Cayenne drives great...but I just don't like the way they look. I'd be thrilled with a gas powered 2021 5 series wagon...but that is also forbidden fruit. I did drive a 2020 e400 wagon...comfy, but not at all exciting. Maybe the newer A6 allroad is worth a look...but it probably rides like a cloud also.

I have not driven any G05 V8's....other than the fuel economy...that might be appealing....and I'll keep my search out for the F15 d.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #4
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

What specifically about your e70 do you feel is aging? Are there things you could upgrade on the car rather than getting a whole new one? Seems like a bit of a waste to replace a car you love with one you don't
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 07:47 PM   #5
sknaffl4
Registered
United_States
Rep

I suppose it isn't anything specific. I'm just accustomed to buying a new one every couple of years....and I have the car bug. In fact..I'm probably foolish for getting rid of it...it only has 86k on the clock, and it's paid for. The only mods I've considered are the EGR/DPF delete and a tune. If I could upgrade..I would want the updated version of iDrive, and the updated HUD, and I do like the new gauges in the G05, plus the fit & finish seems very nice...but all those are creature comforts. The driving dynamics still don't impress me, which is what I look for mostly in a vehicle.

I guess I'm looking for something that I will be as thrilled with as the E70...but in my research and test-driving...nothing is there yet. Seems counterintuitive since mine is already 8 years old, and the last model year in the chassis, but I really thought I'd jump into a new X5 and love it....and I didn't. Hence my quest for opinions from former E70 owners.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 09:21 PM   #6
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

My folks have had multiple E70 X5s and now own a G05. The E70 is clearly the BMW of the two. Heavy and communicative steering, planted feel, well controlled body motions, and the vehicle shrinks around you.

G05 is competent that's it. You can tell the chassis is good and steering, while lifeless, is precise. Powertrain is excellent. If they wanted to they could make a really good driving SUV, which I suppose is what the X3M and X5M are for. But gone are the days of even a base X5 being fun to drive. The G05 is simply too wallowy, large, and lackadaisical-feeling.

Unfortunately like all cars, those E70s are old now and more often than not a headache to maintain. I'd highly recommend the X3M or Macan S/GTS if you want an SUV that provides a similar feel to your E70. X3M's steering is heavy but video-game like but you get used to it. Macan's steering is heavy and very natural-feeling; best EPS of any CUV on the market. There's always the Cayenne S but it is unreasonably expensive in my opinion.

Last edited by Germanauto; 08-10-2021 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #7
Rr896
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

My wife drove our E70 x5 v8 with all the goodies as her daily and she loved it. We had the dreaded o ring leak where the oil cooler connects back at the block. Fixed it and sold it. Test drove the next model x5 and was not impressed. Bounced over to the Jag FPace S (6 cyl) and she loves it. I think Jag nailed the styling and with an aftermarket quicksilver exhaust sounds amazing. She is wanting a Range Rover Sport as she has always liked them. I would like to drive a Alfa Stelvio Quadrafolio to see what i think of that. I like the Macan also but back seats are too small. We just test drove a Panamera GTS and she did not fall in love as i think she really likes the SUV format.
Appreciate 0