F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW and electrification
GetBMWParts

08-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW M240i

BMW and electrification

I’m partial to the power.
Not thrilled by the weight.

If you have an Apple News subscription:
https://apple.news/Ah3sqRq5MQx6_7IypA8toOQ

“In a rare interview, the engineer who’s worked at BMW for 30 years and now runs the company tells CAR the ultimate driving machine can be electric, and insists today’s designs will look just fine in five years…”

“In a couple of years, everything will have at least 48 volts [mild hybrids], which is kind of electric. And on the performance side, you need electrification to get the best performance out. So you will see hybrids in the M division for this reason.”

Last edited by SoftShoe; 08-11-2021 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Can't open the link from my computer. I'm probably not the only one. What's the article title and source? I'd like to look it up and should be able to search with that info.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep

Ugh. Sorry about that.

It’s CAR magazine, September issue.

“We’re not afraid of electrification” is what’s cut off in the image, below.

Looks like a different article is available online:
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electr...ic-cars-2025-/
Attached Images

Last edited by SoftShoe; 08-11-2021 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #4
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

My impression is that over the past decade there's been an internal struggle at BMW regarding ICE vs electric. They are Bavarian "Motor" Works after all, ICE is their identity. Unfortunately there is no escaping electrification but I'm glad BMW is taking a more cautious and pragmatic approach like Toyota is. I'd be interested in a PHEV which has some of the benefits of EVs while keeping my ICE exhaust and flappy paddles. In my opinion these attributes add character and drama to the driving experience which are absent in pure EVs.

On a side note, while I can live with the looks of the i4, the iX is just terrible. There is a photo of a base iX in the recent NYT BMW article and it looks horrendous.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShoe View Post
I’m partial to the power.
Agreed. I also don't care for the size but that's a matter of time, I hope.

I still love the 135i because, put simply I like the smaller size and engagement. I'm not sure if there's an electric car out there (that is reasonably priced) that would provide those things.

I could easily replace my X3 with a hybrid, but would prefer that specifically so it can do road trips and have a gas option at times.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9702.50
      08-11-2021, 08:30 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Agreed. I also don't care for the size but that's a matter of time, I hope.

I still love the 135i because, put simply I like the smaller size and engagement. I'm not sure if there's an electric car out there (that is reasonably priced) that would provide those things.

I could easily replace my X3 with a hybrid, but would prefer that specifically so it can do road trips and have a gas option at times.
Your X3 sounds like a perfect PHEV candidate. You keep gas on road trips. Get EV bonuses when not.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Your X3 sounds like a perfect PHEV candidate. You keep gas on road trips. Get EV bonuses when not.
Especially if it can go 50 or so miles at up to highway speeds before the battery runs out. It'd almost become a straight EV in town for going to work and running errands. And yeah, be able to drive cross country with minimal stopping. Although that's getting easier and easier to find charging locations that are convenient so that excuse won't last a whole lot longer.

I had an X3 hybrid as a loaner not long ago, but it was discharged and they didn't include anything to plug it in with, so I didn't really get to play with it. I read 17 miles of all electric range, which isn't ideal but is better than nothing. Couldn't find anything about how fast it can go on battery. Maybe a future version would have a little farther range (and higher speed, if it's currently limited).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #8
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Especially if it can go 50 or so miles at up to highway speeds before the battery runs out. It'd almost become a straight EV in town for going to work and running errands. And yeah, be able to drive cross country with minimal stopping. Although that's getting easier and easier to find charging locations that are convenient so that excuse won't last a whole lot longer.

I had an X3 hybrid as a loaner not long ago, but it was discharged and they didn't include anything to plug it in with, so I didn't really get to play with it. I read 17 miles of all electric range, which isn't ideal but is better than nothing. Couldn't find anything about how fast it can go on battery. Maybe a future version would have a little farther range (and higher speed, if it's currently limited).
I can't speak on the X3. A shame they gave it to you with a flat battery though!

My 530e gets ~20 miles of pure electric range depending on weather. But it will have lower range than a X due to a smaller battery as you pay for weight more in a sedan compared to an SUV. I'd imagine 30+ in an X3, but I don't know that for certain.

My 530e can reach 90MPH on pure EV mode. And I've done it I'm not sure how much faster you'd need it to be. I do need the ICE to top 100MPH, but that's rare enough that it isn't a real issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep

And then there’s this:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...y-in-the-works

“BMW iM2: 1,341-hp electric M2 reportedly in the works”
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #10
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShoe View Post
I'm partial to the power.

If you have an Apple News subscription:
https://apple.news/Ah3sqRq5MQx6_7IypA8toOQ

"In a rare interview, the engineer who's worked at BMW for 30 years and now runs the company tells CAR the ultimate driving machine can be electric, and insists today's designs will look just fine in five years…"

"In a couple of years, everything will have at least 48 volts [mild hybrids], which is kind of electric. And on the performance side, you need electrification to get the best performance out. So you will see hybrids in the M division for this reason."
Yeah but keep in mind BMW has no choice in the matter for regulatory reasons.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0