F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > OT: The Official UFC Chat Thread
ARMA SPEED

08-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #177
Alpine335TT
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 M-Sport 335i

Silva vs Sonnen was definitely one of the most exciting fights I've watched in a while.. especially after watching disappointing fights like Penn vs Edgar and Evans vs Rampage.. even more impressive was Struve coming back with the KO.

MISCHIEF.TV
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #178
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Speaking of Penn vs. Edgar. They fight again at the end of the month.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #179
Alpine335TT
Major
Rep

1 week from this Saturday! BJ better take care of business this time.

MISCHIEF.TV
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #180
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
He usually responds pretty well after a loss.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #181
Alpine335TT
Major
Rep

I agree.. but something just seemed off that night.. fought like he was sick or something.. pretty frustrating to watch.

MISCHIEF.TV
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #182
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Not just the Penn fight but that entire fight card seemed suspicious to me. BJ Penn made no attempt in the last few rounds when he knew he was behind. Not sure what was with that. Also, what was with the Hughes fight, that seemed to stretch out forever. If evidence surfaced that the whole card was rigged it wouldn't surprise me.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #183
headlee103
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Not just the Penn fight but that entire fight card seemed suspicious to me. BJ Penn made no attempt in the last few rounds when he knew he was behind. Not sure what was with that. Also, what was with the Hughes fight, that seemed to stretch out forever. If evidence surfaced that the whole card was rigged it wouldn't surprise me.
Frank Edgar has always been known for his conditioning throughout his wrestling career, it doesnt surprise me at all that he wore BJ down. I like BJ, but I think Frankie can do it again. Not to mention, hes tiny for the weight class too.

2007 AW 328xi
SOLD
19" Gunmetal Forgestar F14's / H & R Sport Springs / OEM Aero Lip & Rear Bumper / RD-V2 Angel Eyes / AFE CAI / BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #184
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlee103 View Post
Frank Edgar has always been known for his conditioning throughout his wrestling career, it doesnt surprise me at all that he wore BJ down. I like BJ, but I think Frankie can do it again. Not to mention, hes tiny for the weight class too.
My money is on The Prodigy but if you're an Edgar fan he's paying very good money. BJ's still the big favourite going into the fight. Edgar is good fighter too, if he wins again I will be surprised but I can't be that surprised because we've seen it happen before. I just expect BJ to come out even stronger the 2nd time. In the 1st fight BJ just looked very out of character to me. Who knows, we might see BJ get knocked out like Machida did in his rematch with Shogun. That would shock the world!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #185
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
I wouldnt be suprised if BJ looses again but I doubt it will happen. He def seemed off that night, we will def find out in 8 days though whether it was a fluke or not
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #186
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
I know man, thats gonna be awesome. I hope Randy throws him a beating
This is exactly how the fight will go down between Couture and Toney:

1: Randy will stay to the outside until he can time a punch and move in for the clinch or straight to a takedown

2: Toney might have time for 1-2 good punches if he is lucky while Randy is at a good range to land solid hits (which is really his only shot at winning the fight)

3: Normally you could argue that boxing has a good clinch game, which it does, and that Toney could still KO Randy from the clinch. However, Randy's clinch is outstanding (did you see him control Lesnar?) and Toney would be lucky to land even 1 good inside hit before Randy completes a take-down. I don't expect Toney to be on his feet very long at all if they end up in the clinch.

4. Either way, if Toney doesn't get that KO in the 1-2 good punches he might have, he is going to be on his back and the fight will be over. I doubt he has any BJJ and if you don't have BJJ and you are on your back you are done for.

I am expecting Randy to win with a Submission via choke in the 2nd round. I expect Toney to survive using pure athleticism for the first round. Also Randy will be more focused on controlling him on the ground while Toney is still fresh. I am even willing to call the choke, I foresee rear-naked (big surprise right?).

Why not TKO from ground and pound? Randy is a classy guy and I'm sure he has respect for Toney's accomplishments. He knows this guy can take punishment so he is not going to make this an ugly fight. He will put him to sleep civilly.

Why rear-naked? Randy is going straight to side body after the take-down (not like Toney has a guard game to contend with). He will prefer this to mount because it is easier to control people from, there are more subs available which is what he is after, and he wants him to turn over. Randy also prefers side control being that he is so used to wrestling and not to mention it will sap Toney's strength faster because someone like Randy will feel like 400 lbs on your chest.

Soon as Toney turns over to try and get up (because that is all he can do) Randy will take his back and sink in the rear-naked.

Why not arm bar? I suspect Randy wants something more guaranteed. Also it is hard to armbar a very strong person when they are fresh and you have to give up a bit more control while transitioning to it vs waiting for a choke. The last thing Randy wants is Toney getting up.

I suspect Toney even knows this is how the fight will go down but good luck stopping it.

There you have it! Short of a freak KO during that time Toney can get his 1-2 good shots in while Randy has to come in range to clinch or take down (if Randy times it poorly which I doubt he will) Randy wins via choke. I am officially calling for rear-naked but something in me sees arm-triangle as being a good probability as well (especially if Toney refuses to give up his back).
      08-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #187
Alpine335TT
Major
Rep

I call fluke on Edgar beating BJ the first time around.. I'm going with BJ in the first round.. KO..

You can't even compare Machida/Shogun to Edgar/Penn..

Edgar isn't even in the same class as BJ and he certainly does not have knock out power or the BJJ skills to win outside of a "decision".

MISCHIEF.TV
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #188
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
agreed!
      08-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #189
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Nautik that's a long post for basically saying Toney has a puncher's chance. :P

Randy will take whatever Toney gives him on the ground. Whether it be GnP or submission. I don't think respect has anything to do with it. There's obviously no way Toney can hang on the ground with Randy, no matter what training he does.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #190
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine335TT View Post
I call fluke on Edgar beating BJ the first time around.. I'm going with BJ in the first round.. KO..

You can't even compare Machida/Shogun to Edgar/Penn..

Edgar isn't even in the same class as BJ and he certainly does not have knock out power or the BJJ skills to win outside of a "decision".
I agree that BJ is a better, more well rounded fighter, but I believe Frankie has the heart of a tiger! If you inflict your fighting style on someone and make them fight your fight, you can beat anyone!
      08-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #191
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
I agree that BJ is a better, more well rounded fighter, but I believe Frankie has the heart of a tiger! If you inflict your fighting style on someone and make them fight your fight, you can beat anyone!
Never give up, never surrender.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #192
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Nautik that's a long post for basically saying Toney has a puncher's chance. :P

Randy will take whatever Toney gives him on the ground. Whether it be GnP or submission. I don't think respect has anything to do with it. There's obviously no way Toney can hang on the ground with Randy, no matter what training he does.
I would say unless Toney catches Randy with a lucky punch (very early in the fight), and I say lucky only because Randy will have to slip up a little to get cought early, Randy will have his way with him on the ground and up against the fence in no time at all! Toney can punch hard but it takes a little distance to throw them, Randy is a genius when it comes to grappling and staying in tight, he wont be on the outside long enough to throw many punches at him.
      08-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #193
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Never give up, never surrender.
DAMN! STRAIGHT!
      08-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #194
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
I call submission 1st round, with Yves (or whoever will be in the octagon that night) holding Randy's arm held high!
      08-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #195
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Toney will def tap w/ in the 1st round
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #196
headlee103
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Couture vs. Toney was just a joke. As soon as I saw the two of them walk out you knew it was over. Toney had absolutely no reaction to Coutures low single! You would think sprawling and defending the takedown would have been Toneys only emphasis during his training camp! Ohh well, everyone got a good laugh out of it and Toney still got a fat paycheck for gettin beat up for a couple minutes.

Edgar vs. Penn was awesome! Exactly how I predicted it!! I have known Frank for a long time through wrestling and he has always excelled with quick level changes and explosions, along with great conditioning. Those two combined are exactly what he used to beat BJ last night. Edgar did a great job of creating angles not only with his striking but with his shots as well.

Next fight will be a rematch with Menard vs. Edgar, last time it was a good fight and I dont expect anything less next time around. With that being said, let me say how much wrestling is taking over MMA! Of the 5 title holders and the 5 top condenders there are SEVEN Division I wrestlers!!

2007 AW 328xi
SOLD
19" Gunmetal Forgestar F14's / H & R Sport Springs / OEM Aero Lip & Rear Bumper / RD-V2 Angel Eyes / AFE CAI / BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 07:41 AM   #197
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Couture vs. Toney was just a joke. As soon as I saw the two of them walk out you knew it was over. Toney had absolutely no reaction to Coutures low single! You would think sprawling and defending the takedown would have been Toneys only emphasis during his training camp! Ohh well, everyone got a good laugh out of it and Toney still got a fat paycheck for gettin beat up for a couple minutes.

Edgar vs. Penn was awesome! Exactly how I predicted it!! I have known Frank for a long time through wrestling and he has always excelled with quick level changes and explosions, along with great conditioning. Those two combined are exactly what he used to beat BJ last night. Edgar did a great job of creating angles not only with his striking but with his shots as well.

Next fight will be a rematch with Menard vs. Edgar, last time it was a good fight and I dont expect anything less next time around. With that being said, let me say how much wrestling is taking over MMA! Of the 5 title holders and the 5 top condenders there are SEVEN Division I wrestlers!!
Yup Edgar just outworked BJ again and was just at another level conditioning-wise. He was just too fast and had plenty of gas to power out of anything BJ tried to get going on the ground. Definitely impressed with Edgar. We'll have to see what BJ does now...

LOL yea Toney clearly had not practiced anything but boxing for this fight. He really seemed to not have a clue about what was going to happen.

Definitely agree on the wrestling! Really lets the fighter control where the fight goes, whether it keep it standing, getting it to the ground, or tying up in the clinch. But then again, it is MMA and the top level guys are typically outstanding at just about every aspect. Look at GSP for example, suberb wrestling, strong stand-up, great BJJ (which he is really working on right now so he can finish these fights before they go 5 rounds).

But yea some great fights Sat Night. How about Joe Louzon getting back after a year off and putting on an outstanding fight like that! Great armbar!
      08-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #198
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
Yup Edgar just outworked BJ again and was just at another level conditioning-wise. He was just too fast and had plenty of gas to power out of anything BJ tried to get going on the ground. Definitely impressed with Edgar. We'll have to see what BJ does now...

LOL yea Toney clearly had not practiced anything but boxing for this fight. He really seemed to not have a clue about what was going to happen.

Definitely agree on the wrestling! Really lets the fighter control where the fight goes, whether it keep it standing, getting it to the ground, or tying up in the clinch. But then again, it is MMA and the top level guys are typically outstanding at just about every aspect. Look at GSP for example, suberb wrestling, strong stand-up, great BJJ (which he is really working on right now so he can finish these fights before they go 5 rounds).

But yea some great fights Sat Night. How about Joe Louzon getting back after a year off and putting on an outstanding fight like that! Great armbar!
He did have some type of clue, cause he knew what he was supposed to do with his arm when caught in the choke, but he just could not do it.