BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

11-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Mustang Shelby 350

Jeez, it appears that Ford has carried on the M3 tradition better than BMW. a 500 HP N/A V8, IRS, awesome brakes. I know the F82 is a great car but M group sold their soul due to bean counter pressure to remove a dedicated M motor.

This car is quite tempting..

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-she...0-mustang.html

http://max.leftlanenews.com/photos/c...t350-6_653.jpg
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
Wilsel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Currently seeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
Jeez, it appears that Ford has carried on the M3 tradition better than BMW. a 500 HP N/A V8, IRS, awesome brakes. I know the F82 is a great car but M group sold their soul due to bean counter pressure to remove a dedicated M motor.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to make a post about it. Sounds like this Shelby is ditching the old ways for more of a Boss 302ish Z28 competitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
OneMmmm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Caught this on Jalopnik as well.

Sounds mean:

http://kinja.roadandtrack.com/shelby...843822/+travis

Looks decent:

http://jalopnik.com/shelby-gt350-mus...and-1659829491
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Was skeptical when I read the prior C&D rumors about this, but looks like it is happening and this may just be the deal of the decade. Flat plane V-8, Ferrari performance, 8000+ rpm, probably a perfectly flat TQ curve and linear hp curve like the S65 (but on steroids), raucous sound, 500+ bhp….incredible!!!!

Probably won't be the best daily and there will likely be interior issues, but for a fun and extremely capable track car at the price of $60-65k, how can you beat this? Plus you'll likely have full Ford track/warranty support unlike the passive-aggressive BMW, which loves to plaster N-ring on the brochures/guides, show videos engineers and DTM drivers talk about the track, there are apps for the track, but God forbid if you actually track your car and there's an issue, that's where the track-talk stops and you have to battle with BMW. Not to mention any Ford parts are going to be much cheaper to replace. This would be a great and robust track beater that you wouldn't feel too badly when you get minor damage.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1011162
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
Just saw this, TY. Moderators can u combine these please? My fault.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #7
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Sadly BMW has watered itself down in an attempt to appeal to the masses. Whether it is emissions regulations or bean-counters that caused this, It baffles me as the competition keeps getting better and more powerful. The F8x series could have compounded the success of the S65 into something really amazing, like the stroker Alekshop just built, but instead of hanging with the 911, they will soon be looking at the taillights of Mustangs and Camaros.
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
wildwestm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

No doubt this will be one to buy. It will be an interesting drive to say the least. I, for one, will be taking a serious look at this car and it very well may end up in my garage. Then again, I'm a big fan of N/A high RPM v8's (go figure...LOL). Unfortunately, the stealerships will think they have a bar of gold and it will take a while for them to stop putting the 15-20K (minimum) "market adjustment" on them. Fortunately, I'm a patient guy...I can wait until the stupidity stops...

Dave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

I want this car. Forget an S65. I want this.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

Im in... Lets see some final $$'s
      11-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #11
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post

Your post makes no sense. Traditionally, the Mustang was always a V8. The BMW m3 was only a v8 during the e9x years (production wise). It was a 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, v8 and now back to a six cylinder. Yes the BMW brand is getting watered down, but a BMW 6 cylinder is more of a benchmark than a BMW v8.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
K-M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek

Yup.... Just read this yesterday ..... Sounds like a kick ass car .... Flat plane crank , NA, V8..... Yummmm......

I have always liked Jamal hameed's work with the SVTs .... Wasn't a fan of the supercharged shelbys (although they kick ass) but this one is a must consider for anyone in the market for an M3.... I wish I was
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
AdonM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt

This car is going to be a beast. Ford has really stepped up their game. Can't wait to see reviews.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #14
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

In a couple of years the GT350 will be on my radar. Not so the M3/4.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #15
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Seems to fill the high-rev, high output, NA engine void that was left by European manufacturers quite nicely.

On top of that a manual trans is the only option.

I echo those who think that this drivetrain is everything the F8X could've been.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #16
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
So far so good. A flat plane, high revving, NA V8 with three pedals got my attention; still awaiting weight. Not speed limited rather drag limited... What's not to like about this car so far?

Quote:
Q&A with Jamal Hameedi on the new Shelby GT350 Mustang

PRODUCTION:

Q: Do you expect it to be a limited production?
A: It will be about the same as a GT500.

Q: Will there be as many built as customers want?
A: …Up to a point.

WEIGHT:

Q: Is the GT350 lighter than the base GT?
A: Yea, we’re not really talking curb weight today, but there was a lot of light-weighting. Much of it went to offset all the mass that we added in terms of power, brakes, etc., but we also went beyond that too.

Q: So you’re optimistic that…
A: Yea, I’m not going to tell you. [laughs]

ENGINE:

Q: Is it dry sump?
A: It’s not dry sump.

Q: Is it direct injection?
A: No.

Q: Where do you get the extra 0.2 liter displacement
A: It’s all bore. It’s got plasma sprayed bore lining. Same lining coating as the 2013 GT500.

Q: Better breathing with flat planes?
A: It’s the rotational inertia that it reduces and also from an exhaust standpoint because you’re going side to side, you’re never disturbing the next cylinder’s firing.

Q: And mass reduction on the crank right?
A: Right.

Q: Where is the crank made?
A. It’s mostly in-house.

Q: You guys forge the crank and machine it yourselves?
A: Yea, there’s bits that are forged…

Q: This is a pretty big motor for a flat plane crank (big displacement). What have you done in terms of crankshaft damping?
A: There’s almost 30 things we did (outside the block) to compensate for it. It’s going to be a whole other story on how we did that.

Q: Challenges with emissions compliance with a flat plane crank?
A: It was harder than usual.

Q: Tell us about the variable loading exhaust valve?
A: It’s got an electric valve. So the valve, depending on what driver mode you’re in, the valve will either be open all the time (track mode) or it will open under certain conditions.

Q: Is it dependent on RPM or back pressure?
A: It’s electronically controlled so there’s algorithms in there that turn valve on in the right point in time.

Q: How much were you able to share with the 5.0L?
A: There are little common parts (i.e. things in the valve train), but it’s pretty much an all-new engine: new heads, new casting, new intake, new crank, new pistons, new rods, new halfshafts.

Q: There were rumors this engine was nicknamed Voodoo, is that the name it’s going by?
A: That was its nickname, yes.

Q: Any chance of seeing this engine in anything else?
A: Right now it’s just in this car. Which we’ve always done, just like the Trinity engine in the GT500. The GT500 was the only place you got the 5.8L.

Q: So it’s exclusive for now at least?
A: Yea.

Q: Is factory top speed software-limited?
A: No, it is drag-limited.

Q: How high does it go?
A: We’re not talking numbers today.

BENCHMARKS:

Q: What were your benchmarks for this car?
A: We had four cars that we bought. One was a 911 Carrera S — that was our main one. But we also bought a Ferrari California and that was mostly for NVH benchmarking. That’s the only flat plane crank front-engine car really out there. And then we bought a C7 corvette and also a Z28.

Q: Relative lap times compared to a Boss 302 around a race track?
A: Not really comparable. Way faster.. an order of magnitude faster.

SUSPENSION:

Q: What is the percentage of stiffness difference on the bushing between the GT350 and the standard GT?
A: Not that much. The bushings are different. The rate, the springs, the swaybars are different.

Q: Is the bushing changes primarily a handling thing or is it for NVH?
A: All for responsiveness and handling.

TRANSMISSION:

Q: Tell us a little about the transmission.
A: It’s a Tremec 3160 transmission that’s been modified fairly significantly to cope with the demands of the flat plane crank engine.

Q: What about the fly wheel and the clutch?
A: It’s got a low inertial dual mass flywheel and two 15-mm dual disc clutch.

WHEELS/BRAKES:

Q: Why black wheels?
A: Actually there’s a reason for that. The brake pads we use, they create so much dust and customers just hate it. You drive the car once with clean wheels and they are dirty after a short drive. So that’s why we got dark wheels.

Q: Why no carbon ceramic brakes?
A: I think you’ll find out later that affordability was a big part of this car.

Q: So keeping price down was a big part of that?
A: Yes. That was a priority with this car.

MISC:

Q: Is it meant to be a Boss 302 replacement or a GT500 replacement? Where is it positioned in the lineup?
A: It is its own beast. Just because the whole flat plane crank is so different than anything we’ve done and anything that’s out there.

Q: In terms of the body panels, how much does it share with the GT and how much of it is new?
A: From the A-pillar forward it’s all new. The whole rear diffuser is new. Rear quarter panels are the same.

Q: Will this be a platform for the GT500?
A: The car has got really good bones so…

Q: How much fun was it working on this?
A: It was awesome. I don’t want to stop.

www.Mustang6G.com
      11-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #17
SSJVegita
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW M3

yea man i totally agree with u, this car is one to look at.....its kinda sad that we have to look at a ford for a s65 m3 successor but to be honest this thing sounds awesome and the stats, wow! yea im sure the interior wont be up to par with bmw but then again its not gonna cost 80k, im also going to keep on eye on this and def wanna test drive one, ford has been on the ball lately....focus st, raptor, fiesta st....also heard they have a focus rs coming to the states.....good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestm3 View Post
No doubt this will be one to buy. It will be an interesting drive to say the least. I, for one, will be taking a serious look at this car and it very well may end up in my garage. Then again, I'm a big fan of N/A high RPM v8's (go figure...LOL). Unfortunately, the stealerships will think they have a bar of gold and it will take a while for them to stop putting the 15-20K (minimum) "market adjustment" on them. Fortunately, I'm a patient guy...I can wait until the stupidity stops...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #18
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
So far so good. A flat plane, high revving, NA V8 with three pedals got my attention; still awaiting weight. Not speed limited rather drag limited... What's not to like about this car so far?
That Q&A was awesome. I would love to be on the team that developed this thing, and other cars like it. Must have been a rewarding experience, especially once it hits.
The idea it could be lighter than a GT! and cost less than a Hellcat! COOL
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #19
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Then there's the Evo review where they praise the new Mustang for having "BMW steering that you can't get in a BMW anymore".

Seems like they have a real winner as long as it's not too heavy and isn't saddled with a ridiculous interior.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #20
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
Then there's the Evo review where they praise the new Mustang for having "BMW steering that you can't get in a BMW anymore".

Seems like they have a real winner as long as it's not too heavy and isn't saddled with a ridiculous interior.
That interior is the only thing holding me back right now. Looks like all Ford products, which is to say pretty cheap with lots of plastic. I fell like the Corvette did a nice job updating their interior, but this still looks a bit cheap to me.

For ~$50k though, I may need to get over it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #21
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
That interior is the only thing holding me back right now. Looks like all Ford products, which is to say pretty cheap with lots of plastic. I fell like the Corvette did a nice job updating their interior, but this still looks a bit cheap to me.

Wait, the 2015 Z/28 is $75k-- doesn't seem like this new GT350 will be at $50k? Has Ford even released any pricing info yet? I'd guess $55-62k.

Hell, a new SRT 392 Challenger starts at $46k (no options). American muscle ain't that cheap anymore...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #22
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post

.... aaaaand then you woke up.