F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Do You Pay For Loan Service Cars???
ARMA SPEED
View Poll Results: Do you pay for a loan car
Yes I love it. Its so fair and BMW ish. 0 0%
No My Dealer is cool. 52 100.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

02-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #23
cfraser
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335 SE

Garage List
Your paying one way or another. No free rides. Think about it. It cost money to drive. Warranty work over 2 hours should give you a "no charge" loaner period. Otherwise $25 a day is cheap and more than fair. Most dealerships provide you with a nice comfortable service seating area with wi-fi, fruit, expresso, free service shuttle drop off and pick up, coffee, fresh baked treats all at no charge. Be fair to your dealer and allow them to make a living in a business that has seen profit margins slashed and grinders squeezing every nickel they can. Then demanding free this and free that. No free rides in life...Most dealers will also offer a valet service at a nominal fee at time of purchase. Lastly who you buy from can be as important as what you buy. Buy from the dealership where you intend to service and your ownership experience will in most cases be a pleasant and rewarding. Anyone have any idea of the cost to loan out 25 BMW's for a couple of days? $1000's
It's customers $ that keeps the doors open.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #24
pettjose
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
Your paying one way or another. No free rides. Think about it. It cost money to drive. Warranty work over 2 hours should give you a "no charge" loaner period. Otherwise $25 a day is cheap and more than fair. Most dealerships provide you with a nice comfortable service seating area with wi-fi, fruit, expresso, free service shuttle drop off and pick up, coffee, fresh baked treats all at no charge. Be fair to your dealer and allow them to make a living in a business that has seen profit margins slashed and grinders squeezing every nickel they can. Then demanding free this and free that. No free rides in life...Most dealers will also offer a valet service at a nominal fee at time of purchase. Lastly who you buy from can be as important as what you buy. Buy from the dealership where you intend to service and your ownership experience will in most cases be a pleasant and rewarding. Anyone have any idea of the cost to loan out 25 BMW's for a couple of days? $1000's
It's customers $ that keeps the doors open.
This is so wrong on so many levels.

Most dealers carry double digit % discount figures in every car they sell, plus any manufacturer support. They preregister cars during times of the year when they need to hit targets to release extra % discount retrospectively across all cars sold during that period. These preregistered cars are then driven my all the sales team, the dealer principles and other dealer management. These cars which normally sit around during the day whilst staff work are used for loaners, admittedly there will also be some dedicated loaners.

At the end of the cars use, say 6,000 to 9,000 miles the car is put on the used forecourt normally for more than the dealer paid for the car initially. So they still profit from these cars in addition to running cars for staff as part of their package.

In addition the dealer makes money on the parts and the man hours for the service, the original reason your car went in.

So... Money on car + preregistrations to hit target + free staff cars + margin on service = healthy return on loan cars. This is why dealers should feel ashamed for charging for loan cars.

Finally, how many time have I read on these forums "went in to get a service and the dealer let me a loaner X5, X6, M3, M5, M6, 650 that i loved so much i placed an order for one"
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #25
thai357sig
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Don't pay!
If it is under warranty, the dealer will get reimbursed by BMW.
If out of warranty I would only go to a dealer that gives free loaners. Fortunately US dealers always do.
      02-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #26
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Raise hell with the manager, tried to pull this crap with me here in Miami. Ask for a manager and don't be nice. I'll bet you somehow they will find you a courtesy car!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #27
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My car spent a month at the dealer for an ac compressor fix and transmission noise and i got a X5 diesel as a loaner, did not pay a single cent.
      02-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #28
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

I'm in the UK, and not been charged for a loaner.......yet.
      02-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #29
filip75
Facetious
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M4

Texas, California and Canada - never paid. Granted, that I was always still under warranty. Not sure if it matters.
      02-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #30
basiluf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 S450 2018 S90

My local dealer, Fields BMW, will only give a loaner to people who purchased from their dealership. Others, like me, have to pay for a shitty rental car. It's bs as the local mercedes dealers will give you a c class no matter where you purchased.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:17 AM   #31
immx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520D SE Touring

I've never had to pay for a courtesy car yet! Mine is in for a service & iDrive fault at the moment and I have a free courtesy car, ok it's not a proper BMW, it's a mini cooper, but it's free transport!

My suggestion is to find another dealer, and make sure the service manager knows why you won't be using them again.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #32
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

I received a letter from my dealership advising that there is a charge per day for service loaners. I'm in Canada.
Appreciate 0