F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > What would you do? My BMW dealer OR BMW Financial Services breached privacy policy
Studio RSR

02-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Supa-Clean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i Brooklyn/Mocha

What would you do? My BMW dealer OR BMW Financial Services breached privacy policy

Hey guys, I just wanted to see if I can get a few of your opinions on this issue.

So, today I got a random call from our accountant at work that - "some paperwork for your BMW is in the fax." I checked our fax and low and behold, the first page of my sales contract with my address, VIN, purchase price, etc etc had been faxed to us. There was no cover sheet, nor was there a number it was faxed from. I immediately called the dealer where I purchased the car (12/30/11 from Shelly BMW) and asked why my personal information was faxed to my work without my consent. After going round and round, they blamed BMW financial services as they were the only other people with my contract. After calling BMW Financial Services, they claim that no one has logged into my account on their database and there is no way that it was them.

Long story short, I ended up speaking with BMW North America and they are looking into this for me. So my question becomes...What would you do? I feel that this is an obvious privacy issue, and I have somewhat lost faith in the dealer/BMW to keep my information private. I was told over and over that "it's our policy not to send your information w/o consent blah blah blah" by the dealer, but then again, people disobey policies everyday. The next excuse was that "we don't even have your company's fax number"...yet as an internet marketer, I am all too familiar with how easy it is to find people's information online (They have my company's name, and our fax number is extremely easy to find from there).

Any thoughts on the matter are much appreciated
      02-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
sounds like an episode of john quinones's wwyd ....
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
GmoneyLI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

You can get the phone records for ur fax line and find out what number the fax was sent from. If you really feel that strongly about it you can retain an attorney and sue the dealer, BMW financial and BMW NA. Your Attny will be able to subpoena the phone records from the phone company, even if it was sent from a private number, the phone company will have to reveal it, and owner of said number, in response to the subpoena.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Blayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Escalade

What would I do? Make sure it was actually BMW that sent these to you, as for what reason would this be getting sent to you out of the blue. If it was the dealership, it was probably a mistake, and shit happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

cry about it
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Supa-Clean
First Lieutenant
Rep

Already have lol. I guess there aren't too many people on here that would care. This is a breach of contract pretty plain and simple. I guess no one else here ever aspired to be a lawyer haha

Either way, would you want all of your employees to see your personal info for a car you purchased? I'd usually assume no. Thanks for the few replies I actually got
      02-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Dude, get over it. You can take it as far as you want if you have deep pockets and lots of time. But it isn't gonna get you any "money" in compensation. Mistakes happen all the time. It could of been some newbie at work who did it by accident. Can you prove it wasn't? Perhaps you can get all CSI and get your original paper work fingerprinted and see who touched the paper? Perhaps get the video footage and see who faxed you the paper? Then what? What you should be asking is, what do YOU want out of this? You wanna send him/her to jail? It wasn't like any harm was done to do. Not physical or virtual.

Just file a complaint asking to please be more secure with customer information and get on with your life.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 04:47 AM   #8
ucla bruin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: daily moped

I think the question is not what would you do, it's what do you want to get out of it?

If you're not sure what you want to get out of it, then probably nothing to be done.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
Supa-Clean
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla bruin View Post
I think the question is not what would you do, it's what do you want to get out of it?

If you're not sure what you want to get out of it, then probably nothing to be done.
By far the best advice/post yet. I really don't have an agenda on this one. BMW has done a great job thus far going through the ranks and looking into this as it is obviously a serious issue. I guess I'm waiting to see what they propose . Either way, I've already had a call from an Escalations Team Leader, who then forwarded it on to another Customer Relations guy. So, they are taking this extremely seriously...I guess time will tell what they will actually do about it.