BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

09-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #23
douglee25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Here's mine.... located near Dallas, TX. It's for sale as a matter of fact.

Estoril blue/Modena interior. Sorta rare and somewhat sought after.

Doug
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #24
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

I had a e36 M3 and a e92 M3 the same time.

Let me tell you that people who poo-poo the e36 without driving it shouldn't really be commenting on it. The e36 engine, while not a full M motor, was still good and had good HP and more importantly torque. The biggest benefit of the e36 was the size, weight and handling abilities of the car. In a word, its fun. Hence when I had a choice to drive the M3s, the e36 got as much time behind the wheel as the e92 because it was lighter, and quick.

Plus in the 90's the e36 had some great color combos like Hellrot (what I had), Estroil Blue, Cosmo Violet, etc.

As for the OP, its a good car for a young kid. Not too much HP, great handling abilities (which will teach him/her how to drive well), was a 90's car so the age before computers, and tons of forum and webpages to help fix anything on the car.

Whole-heartily give the e36 M3 a thumbs up.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #25
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Here is the car. It is owned by a current BMW drivetrain engineer that works in SC. He has owned the car 6 years and done a lot of work himself on the car.

http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/mw...racite%20Cloth
Holy crap!! I actually know that car. If that's the one you bought, congrats on one of the cleanest E36's I've EVER seen. The owner was so meticulous with that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla View Post
I had a e36 M3 and a e92 M3 the same time.

Let me tell you that people who poo-poo the e36 without driving it shouldn't really be commenting on it. The e36 engine, while not a full M motor, was still good and had good HP and more importantly torque. The biggest benefit of the e36 was the size, weight and handling abilities of the car. In a word, its fun. Hence when I had a choice to drive the M3s, the e36 got as much time behind the wheel as the e92 because it was lighter, and quick.

Plus in the 90's the e36 had some great color combos like Hellrot (what I had), Estroil Blue, Cosmo Violet, etc.

As for the OP, its a good car for a young kid. Not too much HP, great handling abilities (which will teach him/her how to drive well), was a 90's car so the age before computers, and tons of forum and webpages to help fix anything on the car.

Whole-heartily give the e36 M3 a thumbs up.
I completely agree with you. On paper, no one will ever understand why this car has such a huge following. It is a lot of fun to drive, and that will never show by just looking at horsepower figures.

Having said that, I was never one of those guys that grew up dreaming about these cars. I started liking BMW's during the E30 and 8 Series days, and during the late 90s, I was all about the E39 (in any form).

Here's mine. Ironically, it's sitting on jack stands at the moment as I change the slave cylinder. The car came with some really nice mods too.

I don't know if any of you guys have noticed, but the prices on clean 5MT cars have gone up significantly. It's getting really really hard to find clean ones nowadays, especially in a desirable color.

P.S: Having said all that, the E9x is still my favorite out of all the M3s. Never driven the E30 M3, but had a 325i. I just can't justify the price they are going for. They're all great cars in their own ways though, including the F80/2
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #26
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Holy crap!! I actually know that car. If that's the one you bought, congrats on one of the cleanest E36's I've EVER seen. The owner was so meticulous with that car.

I completely agree with you. On paper, no one will ever understand why this car has such a huge following. It is a lot of fun to drive, and that will never show by just looking at horsepower figures.

Having said that, I was never one of those guys that grew up dreaming about these cars. I started liking BMW's during the E30 and 8 Series days, and during the late 90s, I was all about the E39 (in any form).

Here's mine. Ironically, it's sitting on jack stands at the moment as I change the slave cylinder. The car came with some really nice mods too.

I don't know if any of you guys have noticed, but the prices on clean 5MT cars have gone up significantly. It's getting really really hard to find clean ones nowadays, especially in a desirable color.

P.S: Having said all that, the E9x is still my favorite out of all the M3s. Never driven the E30 M3, but had a 325i. I just can't justify the price they are going for. They're all great cars in their own ways though, including the F80/2
Car looks good and yes people are starting to ask premium but we don't know what they are actually selling for. Some may sit for a while. There's a beautiful silver coupe with a built motor and turbo by me making over 500whp for a steal right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #27
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Car looks good and yes people are starting to ask premium but we don't know what they are actually selling for. Some may sit for a while. There's a beautiful silver coupe with a built motor and turbo by me making over 500whp for a steal right now.
Thanks. The funny thing is that I know exactly how much that white coupe the OP posted sold for (assuming he did buy it). Out of respect for the seller and buyer, I won't disclose the amount, but I can tell you we are talking well into a nice E46 M3 territory. But then again, I know that car is so mint inside out, in a desirable combo.

Personally, I think if you are looking for a car that has had all maintenance done and needs absolutely nothing, you'll have to fork up close to $10k. If you want a rare color like Techno Violet, Dakar Yellow or Estoril, that'll be close to 11 to 12.

The temptation to mod my E36 into something more serious is there. But I've kind of got my eyes set on an M2 as its replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #28
douglee25
First Lieutenant
Rep

I would have sold you mine for half!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #29
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
I would have sold you mine for half!
I honestly would have gladly flown out there and bought it for you for that price. The thing looks clean! I think someone got a hell of a deal.

Speaking of E36s, just found out yesterday that mine needs a new clutch master cylinder. Not looking forward to the impromptu yoga session this weekend
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #30
douglee25
First Lieutenant
Rep

Oooo, clutch master cylinders aren't fun in that car. Doable, but not fun.

You'll need to visit Mr. Advil when you're complete.

I did that once in the E36. Bleeding isn't fun either.

You have a puddle on your driver's side floor?

Doug
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #31
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

My two cents having recently owned an E36 M3 for a few months as a Daily Driver:

Pros:

1) Inline six is just gorgeous. Silky smooth and torquey.

2) Car is beautifully balanced out of the box with fantastic steering feel

3) I actually liked the 5 speed gearbox better than the 6 speed in my E92 M3.

Cons:

1) Interior was falling apart. The door cards came loose in the front and the back. The interior door handles fell off as well. I hear this is a common E36 problem and I actually bought a low mileage garage queen (56K miles)

2) You miss the creature comforts. I came down from an E92 and I missed elements such as a consistently functioning radio.

I sold it because I realized that an older car was not for me. Not necessarily a knock against the E36. I would love to strip one for the track though.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #32
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Oooo, clutch master cylinders aren't fun in that car. Doable, but not fun.

You'll need to visit Mr. Advil when you're complete.

I did that once in the E36. Bleeding isn't fun either.

You have a puddle on your driver's side floor?

Doug
Well a couple of weeks ago, my clutch pedal went to the ground and had to have it towed home. Went ahead and changed the slave cylinder, and it took me way too long to bleed it. Finally had to borrow a pressure bleeder (mine is leaking), and got a ton of fluid out with no air. Pedal still had no pressure. So I looked on the floor and saw this:

No wonder I couldn't get the bastard bled, the pedal wasn't even connected. Instead of trying to fix it, I'd rather be done with it and ordered a new part.

I plan on taking the driver seat out (have to fix recline gear anyway, so might as well make more room). Do you have any tips that would be useful? How's this for a small world: The guy that sold the white E36 in this thread is the one that'll be helping me haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #33
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
My two cents having recently owned an E36 M3 for a few months as a Daily Driver:

Pros:

1) Inline six is just gorgeous. Silky smooth and torquey.

2) Car is beautifully balanced out of the box with fantastic steering feel

3) I actually liked the 5 speed gearbox better than the 6 speed in my E92 M3.

Cons:

1) Interior was falling apart. The door cards came loose in the front and the back. The interior door handles fell off as well. I hear this is a common E36 problem and I actually bought a low mileage garage queen (56K miles)

2) You miss the creature comforts. I came down from an E92 and I missed elements such as a consistently functioning radio.

I sold it because I realized that an older car was not for me. Not necessarily a knock against the E36. I would love to strip one for the track though.
I agree about the smooth engine and brilliant handling. I prefer the gearbox in the E9x though.

I'm kind of with you about the E36. If you absolutely love it, then yea go for it, but know that it'll need things here and there for a while. With the E92, I don't mind fixing/upgrading it, but I find myself wondering what is going to break next on the E36 (and my other DD). But at this point, I can't really think of another car I want at this price range, plus I'd rather not having a second car payment (need to stash some $ away for the M2). So for now it stays.

Having said that, I don't miss the creature comforts though. My car has AC, power windows and a radio (with a CD changer in the back) and that's about it. Don't need all the other fluffs, because when the E36 is working, I don't care about anything else. Thus why the M2 will be a very low optioned car if I get one.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #34
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
I agree about the smooth engine and brilliant handling. I prefer the gearbox in the E9x though.

I'm kind of with you about the E36. If you absolutely love it, then yea go for it, but know that it'll need things here and there for a while. With the E92, I don't mind fixing/upgrading it, but I find myself wondering what is going to break next on the E36 (and my other DD). But at this point, I can't really think of another car I want at this price range, plus I'd rather not having a second car payment (need to stash some $ away for the M2). So for now it stays.

Having said that, I don't miss the creature comforts though. My car has AC, power windows and a radio (with a CD changer in the back) and that's about it. Don't need all the other fluffs, because when the E36 is working, I don't care about anything else. Thus why the M2 will be a very low optioned car if I get one.
As I think about it though, with my 95 I felt the steering to be a bit loose. I was lazily considering doing a Z3 steering rack upgrade

Any more photos of the technoviolet that you can share? Interior pics?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #35
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
As I think about it though, with my 95 I felt the steering to be a bit loose. I was lazily considering doing a Z3 steering rack upgrade

Any more photos of the technoviolet that you can share? Interior pics?
Mine is tight as a drum. The previous owner put a ZHP rack in it, and did all the bushings. That made it really easy for me to buy, especially considering it was local too.

But here are a few more pics:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2920/...3b638884_c.jpg

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #36
douglee25
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you have any tips that would be useful? How's this for a small world: The guy that sold the white E36 in this thread is the one that'll be helping me haha.
How about stretch first?

Seriously, from what I remember:

1. Push the seat back or remove it in your case.
2. Remove knee kick panel.
3. Disconnect linkage from clutch pedal.
4. Remove line and plug at reservoir.
5. I believe you have to somewhat pull the master cylinder towards you inside the car to remove the clip that allows the hardline to be removed.
6. Remove feed line at the master cylinder.
7. Assemble in the reverse.
8. Once assembled, refill reservoir and try to let the system gravity bleed or pressure bleed.
9. I always got the best results removing the slave from the trans and manually hand bleeding with the bleeder in the upright position. Attach a line to the bleeder, compress piston (use the frame or something underneath to press against), crack bleeder, closer bleeder, release piston.

Doug
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #37
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

My mom had E36 M3 about 15 years ago. Reliable, but her ignition had to be replaced. It was about $500 (in mid-late 90s' money)
      10-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #38
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
My mom had E36 M3 about 15 years ago. Reliable, but her ignition had to be replaced. It was about $500 (in mid-late 90s' money)
i had a car once. it needed something replaced. cost $xxx dollars back in neverland
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #39
ajvee
Major
Rep

Beautiful e36! Thank you for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #40
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
How about stretch first?

Seriously, from what I remember:

1. Push the seat back or remove it in your case.
2. Remove knee kick panel.
3. Disconnect linkage from clutch pedal.
4. Remove line and plug at reservoir.
5. I believe you have to somewhat pull the master cylinder towards you inside the car to remove the clip that allows the hardline to be removed.
6. Remove feed line at the master cylinder.
7. Assemble in the reverse.
8. Once assembled, refill reservoir and try to let the system gravity bleed or pressure bleed.
9. I always got the best results removing the slave from the trans and manually hand bleeding with the bleeder in the upright position. Attach a line to the bleeder, compress piston (use the frame or something underneath to press against), crack bleeder, closer bleeder, release piston.

Doug
Great. Can't wait.

Thanks for the advice Doug!

Quote:
Beautiful e36! Thank you for sharing.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 04:48 AM   #41
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
heard many times the US spec one was detuned version over the euro one. personally i wont like the idea of that.
Its not a detuned version, rather a hot version of the M52. The euro S50 have individual throttle bodies and other exotic goodies. The US version isn't comparable but def reliable and easy/cheap to mod. The built motor we're performing on mine is expected to push 315hp at the wheel.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 04:51 AM   #42
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Mine is tight as a drum. The previous owner put a ZHP rack in it, and did all the bushings. That made it really easy for me to buy, especially considering it was local too.
Looks so sexy. To me the E36 is THE M3. I recently traded my Arctic for another. You'd be jealous if I told you the mileage.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #43
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Looks so sexy. To me the E36 is THE M3. I recently traded my Arctic for another. You'd be jealous if I told you the mileage.
That's awesome man, quite a hell of a garage you got there. Mine is misbehaving right now. Long story short, gotta drop the trans (and hell no I'm not doing that on jackstands). So at this point I'm going to change everything including clutch, flexdisc, shifter bushing....

So mine might have low 125k miles (the previous owner put 15k in 1 year, so all highway), but it has brand new cooling, all new trans parts and all new bushings all around. I'll need to work on a few small things in the interior and she'll be good to go. Like I said, in 2 years, that'll be my downpayment for the M2

P.S. I've been finding myself looking at Z3M Roadsters (the clownshoes are going for too much money). I think if I did it again, I might have gone that route, I dunno
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #44
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Just get a used 128i.
Appreciate 0