F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Chief of Design Chris Bangle leaves BMW
Studio RSR

02-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #23
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
Chris Bangle is gone!

The new Design Guru is Adrian van Hooydonk. The Link is in German but Adrian will take over the position.

http://www.manager-magazin.de/koepfe...605240,00.html
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #24
ksm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

.....it's about fxxxin time!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #25
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssss s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ding dong the dick is gooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeee...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #26
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

This is a big surprise. Everyone can say what they want about Bangle, but his 7 Series design outsold all others and influenced many other car brands. You have to cut the guy a little slack! Van Hooydonk will do a great job!
      02-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #27
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335i

about time, but i doubt it will become better with the dutch guy in charge
      02-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #28
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Don't get excited, Hooydonk is behind most of the Bangle designs.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #29
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Great Men are without their controversy, overall he is a car design pioneer.. lets have him work on GM next

Last edited by ase2dais; 02-04-2009 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #30
RMA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M sport coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MiroslavE92 View Post
This is a big surprise. Everyone can say what they want about Bangle, but his 7 Series design outsold all others and influenced many other car brands. You have to cut the guy a little slack! Van Hooydonk will do a great job!
Of course he will do a great job...he's Dutch
      02-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #31
3er BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F000007 View Post
No matter what people think about him, Bangle is one of the pioneers of automotive design and has changed the way the auto industry looks from its core. I think his overall work at BMW is nothing short of amazing and that he deserves immense credit for everything he has given to this brand.

Mr. Bangle has done untold damage.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #32
wakedaze
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
about time, but i doubt it will become better with the dutch guy in charge

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #33
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er BMW View Post
I disagree.

Love him, hate him, but you got to respect him.

If multiple manufacturers copied his work like they did, then at least he was doing something right in their eyes.

Not everyone likes what he did, but I thought he gave the company a character and look that was distinctly BMW. And personally, I liked most of the things he did.

Think of it like this. So many musicians and artists where not given the respect they deserved, until they had passed on. And look at their work today.

Last edited by LateBraking; 02-03-2009 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #34
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA View Post
So who actually designed the 3 series?
The 3 coups was AVH's baby... not sure about the 3 sedan.

btw, Armin and Tiesto are awesome... seen Armin in DC 2 years ago... great stuff
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #35
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er BMW View Post
Really? BMW had some of its best sales years every under his designs. The original E46 was also his design.

Like or not the 7 series was the best selling 7 BMW ever had.

Every time I see an S class or a Camry or Avalon all I can think about is how they copied the 7.

Some of his designs went a bit to far but they started a movement, it takes time for people to change and except new things. But as you can see his designs have been copied by many competitors.
      02-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #36
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

hasn't Adrian van Hooydonk basically been designing BMWs for the past few years?
      02-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #37
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 | E30 M3 || '51 Ford F1

Bangle steps down - Hope for future BMW Designs

CHRISTOPHER BANGLE HANDS OVER HIS POST AS HEAD OF DESIGN AT THE BMW GROUP TO ADRIAN VAN HOOYDONK IN ORDER TO EXPLORE OPPORTUNITIES OUTSIDE THE BMW GROUP AND THE AUTO INDUSTRY

Munich - Christopher E. Bangle, the BMW Group's Head of Design, has worked closely with Adrian van Hooydonk in BMW Group design development for nearly17 years. Now he is handing over his post to van Hooydonk, who is currently Head of BMW Automobile Design. "Christopher Bangle has had a lasting impact on the identity of BMW Group's brands. His contribution to the company's success has been decisive, and together with his teams he has mapped out a clear and aesthetic route into the future," said Dr Klaus Draeger, BMW AG's Board Member for Development. Dr Draeger went on to explain that the BMW Group was currently "in an excellent position", thanks to a broad portfolio of automobiles and several new vehicle concepts due for market launch in the coming months and years. The BMW AG Management Board, he added, is looking forward to working with van Hooydonk as Head of BMW Group Design - a man who shares Bangle's fascination for technology and aesthetics, tradition and innovation. Dr Draeger affirmed that van Hooydonk would be in a position to continue to build on a design philosophy, which extends across the BMW Group's brands. Bangle's plan to pursue his own design-related endeavours beyond the auto industry marks the start of a new phase in his life while maintaining strong ties with the BMW Group.

Over the years numerous designs for new vehicles and vehicle concepts have been developed under Christopher Bangle's leadership. As well as continuing the BMW 3, 5 and 7 Series, he and his teams were responsible for a range of other models, including the BMW Z3, BMW Z4, BMW X5, BMW Z8, BMW X3, the new BMW 6 Series, the BMW X6 and the BMW 1 Series. Other developments under the auspices of Christopher Bangle include the new MINI and Rolls-Royce models and a number of innovative motorcycle concepts. During his tenure, Christopher Bangle was also instrumental in making the company's consultancy subsidiary, BMW Group DesignworksUSA, what it is today: a global design agency in North America, Munich and Singapore for leading international brands and companies in a wide variety of industries.

Thanks to their outstanding design quality numerous products from all three of the BMW Group's automobile brands have won a host of renowned awards from around the world. Bangle has always had a special aptitude for working with his teams to strengthen the identities and unmistakable images of the BMW Group's brands and to inspire design innovations, said Dr Draeger, Board Member for Development. Over the years he has received a dozen patents for his technical applications and design. These, along with the one hundred additional patents awarded to the BMW Group Design under Bangle's auspices, are a testimony to his creative and innovative power.

Born in the USA, Christopher Bangle, aged 52, has been Head of BMW Group Design Development since October 1992. After studying at the University of Wisconsin and the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, he began his working life in Rüsselsheim, where he worked for Adam Opel AG. In 1985 he joined FIAT, where he became Director of the FIAT Centro Stile in 1992. Shortly afterwards he left the Italian automaker to come to Munich.

Throughout his career with the BMW Group Bangle's right-hand man has been Adrian van Hooydonk, who is now set to become his successor. He described van Hooydonk as "truly a top professional in our business," adding, "I am sure that the many strong design strategies he has helped us create for the BMW Group will continue to develop and evolve."

Adrian van Hooydonk, aged 44, will take over as Director of BMW Group Design with immediate effect. In his new position he will be responsible for design development for the BMW, Rolls-Royce and MINI brands. Born in the Netherlands, van Hooydonk studied at Delft Polytechnic University in Holland and later at the Art Center Europe in Vevey, Switzerland, until 1992. From there he came to Munich, where he joined BMW as a designer. In the year 2000 he went to California to work for the BMW Group subsidiary Designworks USA. He was Director of the internationally renowned design agency from 2001 to 2004. Then, under Bangle as the BMW Group's Head of Design, he became Head of the Brand Design Studio for BMW Automobiles.

The BMW 6 Series and 7 Series lines clearly bear the hallmark of van Hooydonk's design influence, as do the Z9 Concept Car, the BMW Concept CS (unveiled in 2007) and the M1 Hommage Study. In 1997 van Hooydonk created the ACV 30 Show Car for MINI and more recently he and his team have developed the designs for the new BMW 7 Series and Z4 as well as for the Concept Progressive Activity Sedan, which celebrates its premiere at the Geneva Auto Show in early March 2009.

"I am honoured and extremely excited to take on this new responsibility", says van Hooydonk. "BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce produce the best cars and motorcycles in their segment, and I am really looking forward to being able to contribute to the future development of these brands." Speaking of his hopes for the years to come, van Hooydonk added: "I have no doubt that there are challenges ahead, but BMW's depth in engineering and the passion of its talented design team are as strong as ever. Together I am sure we will be able to create some very sophisticated and extremely attractive concepts."

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #38
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
The 3 coups was AVH's baby... not sure about the 3 sedan.

btw, Armin and Tiesto are awesome... seen Armin in DC 2 years ago... great stuff
If the 3 series coupe was this dutchmans creation, then i'm happy with this decision. Of course he probably had his hands on the other models too so i'm guessing the designs won't really change much.
      02-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #39
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92

I don't know why everyone is so excited about him leaving. He was an important part of keeping BMW a dynamic and successful company over the last few years.

Maybe you don't like his designs, I can understand that, but they are certainly successful. Practically every car he designed has been a hit (and certainly influential), so why celebrate him leaving when it can potentially hurt the company? I believe they will carry on without any trouble, but while you may not like his taste, this is a very important man in the automotive design world leaving a company we all obviously like.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #40
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

i didn't like his 7 series designs at ALL, the current 750li and i are pretty damn nice but the first years that it came out in 01-02 it was horrible nothing flowed together in the back ! its going to be interesting where bmw will head with the new designs.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #41
RMA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M sport coupe

Garage List
Thanks for taking out the time & posting this. Quite a long story but very much appreciated I trust the Dutchman will do a fine job
      02-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #42
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5love View Post
hasn't Adrian van Hooydonk basically been designing BMWs for the past few years?
Although it seems many on this forum are singing praises that Bangle is gone, many others are right in saying that the new head of design, Adrian van Hooydonk, has been working hand-in-hand with Bangle on BMW's design direction for years. One of BMW's most notable and polarizing "flame-surfaced" designs in the past 7 years was the Z4 roadster and coupe.

Guess who hand the primary hand in designing those cars? - you guessed it, Van Hooydonk.

So don't expect a massive change in BMW's design direction over the next 7 years. (Certainly no change as dramatic as the change in design from the pre-2002 to the post-2002 "banglized" 7 series and onward.)

Face it, BMW has pointed it's style in one direction and not much will change that. Van Hooydonk won't either.
      02-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #43
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

sweet. let's get back 2 the roots.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #44
vocalthought
Private
United_States