F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Can I DIY Wheel Clearcoat Spot Repair?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-09-2023, 01:24 PM   #1
WhiteRedSport
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i xDrive 6MT

Can I DIY Wheel Clearcoat Spot Repair?

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Wondering if I could blend chipping clear coat and then respray it with Dupli-Color clearcoat or something over a specific area of the rim rather than consider refinishing the whole rim? Doesn't have to look nice, but want to protect from further corrosion and prevent spreading.

Also, the second pic is showing that there may have been some previous work done on this rim already. Is it possible to DIY how the work in the second picture has been done? It looks perfectly acceptable to me and I would be more than happy to match that on the location of the first picture.

I bought this used, so and it's out of warranty too, unfortunately.

These are 704M wheels.

Would appreciate any advice! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 06:43 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

you will have to mask off the inserts, sand the chipped areas smooth and also the areas you will blend the clear. i have yet to see a glossy clear from an aerosol can but i'm sure it exists and it is probably a bit pricey.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 04:26 PM   #3
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
you will have to mask off the inserts, sand the chipped areas smooth and also the areas you will blend the clear. i have yet to see a glossy clear from an aerosol can but i'm sure it exists and it is probably a bit pricey.
You can get 2k clear's in a can, you just have to activate them prior to usage. They're not exactly something you want to be spraying without correct ventilation and bodyshop grade masks though, 2k paints contain carcinogenics
      02-07-2023, 04:36 PM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post
You can get 2k clear's in a can, you just have to activate them prior to usage. They're not exactly something you want to be spraying without correct ventilation and bodyshop grade masks though, 2k paints contain carcinogenics
yes, typically you must use it all, once the hardener's been activated. however this one has unlimited pot-life after activation...
https://car-rep.com/us/product/car-r...gh-gloss-11oz/
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2023, 04:53 AM   #5
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Quote:
yes, typically you must use it all, once the hardener's been activated. however this one has unlimited pot-life after activation...
Quote:
Oh I saw a guy in the US demo'ing these.. we can't get them in the UK unfortunately, we have to spend £35-40 for a small can and hope to use it all haha.

If you have basic paint experience then they're 100% worth it (providing you use a good mask). It builds up nicely, has superior scratch and chemical resistance compared to acrylic clears, and most of all.. the gloss levels are awesome.