F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > CENCAL NORCAL muffler/exhaust shops?
GetBMWParts

07-07-2023, 09:20 PM   #1
imperialgrunt
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Exclamation CENCAL NORCAL muffler/exhaust shops?

Looking for a reputable muffler shop that has experience with our vehicles. I Currently have a horrible horrible exhaust leak, the car sounds like sh** upon startup. My vehicle came with a MPPSK, and that is the only reason why I’m being picky with the shop I take it to.

Located in Modesto but willing to travel to Stockton, Sac, or maybe a little further. If anyone has had good experiences with any shops, or has some good recommendations, feel free to share!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 10:37 PM   #2
Bluejeans
Rep
Drives: FR-S

I would use Yelp to find a good shop. There's more data for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 12:43 AM   #3
_das_bae_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialgrunt View Post
Looking for a reputable muffler shop that has experience with our vehicles. I Currently have a horrible horrible exhaust leak, the car sounds like sh** upon startup. My vehicle came with a MPPSK, and that is the only reason why I’m being picky with the shop I take it to.

Located in Modesto but willing to travel to Stockton, Sac, or maybe a little further. If anyone has had good experiences with any shops, or has some good recommendations, feel free to share!
What are you looking for the muffler shop to specifically do? Any shop can weld, I see you noted you have MPPSK so just to confirm…your exhaust doesn’t have the known valve rattle issues or cracks on the welds? Any muffler shop can do any exhaust work or repair on any car, there isn’t much that is different besides the routing and if there is a valve. The main differences you’ll see from shop to shop is the type of welding or installs they can do (ie. mig vs tig or dime stacks vs glob).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 07:14 AM   #4
imperialgrunt
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by _das_bae_ View Post
What are you looking for the muffler shop to specifically do? Any shop can weld, I see you noted you have MPPSK so just to confirm…your exhaust doesn’t have the known valve rattle issues or cracks on the welds? Any muffler shop can do any exhaust work or repair on any car, there isn’t much that is different besides the routing and if there is a valve. The main differences you’ll see from shop to shop is the type of welding or installs they can do (ie. mig vs tig or dime stacks vs glob).
Muffler has a crack on the side that’s causing a horrible exhaust leak. I’ve attempted to go to 2 reputable muffler shops here in Modesto, but both claim that it’s not fixable, and that I need to buy a new muffler, or they suggest I can just straight pipe it… it’s a beautiful muffler, and I wanna try to do whatever I can to try to keep it. Not sure if the shops just aren’t familiar with patching up these mufflers, or they are just behind lazy and giving me the run around.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 12:35 AM   #5
_das_bae_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialgrunt View Post
Muffler has a crack on the side that’s causing a horrible exhaust leak. I’ve attempted to go to 2 reputable muffler shops here in Modesto, but both claim that it’s not fixable, and that I need to buy a new muffler, or they suggest I can just straight pipe it… it’s a beautiful muffler, and I wanna try to do whatever I can to try to keep it. Not sure if the shops just aren’t familiar with patching up these mufflers, or they are just behind lazy and giving me the run around.
I think what it might be is some shops worry if they only do a patch weld it might crack again where the factory weld is since the new weld might be stronger. Some shops don’t want to deal with the chance of you coming back and saying it’s their fault when that happens. So I think the solution might be having the whole end cap redone. Then the value of that repair vs buying another one used. But it could also happen to another used one. They are just offering the straight pipe as the cheapest and easiest option plus they are assuming you might want the car louder which that would help achieve.

TLDR: If you call around and explain to shops that’s what you want done and cost isn’t a worry they will weld whatever you want as long as you pay them labor and don’t get a warranty on their work.
Appreciate 0