BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,505
iTrader: (0)

This just irritates me when other drivers....

So, I know there's no shortage of folks here who are just dying to rant and rave, so here's your thread for it.

It just irritates me when other drivers:
  • On the highway, pull out of the right lane because they are going 2.5 mph faster than the guy in front of them, who was going at exactly the speed limit, and take the next 15 minutes to pass the SOB. Such folks seem only to need to do that when they can see me approaching from behind and know damn well I'm going to be past them in 20 seconds.
  • Won't signal a turn until they have to stop at the light and there's no dedicated left or right turn signal. So now, there's a line of folks stuck behind them while they wait for traffic (left turns) or pedestrians (right turns).
  • Move in front of me (or someone else) in rush hour traffic, without increasing their speed, when it's clear I was going faster than they to begin with, and then step on the brake.
  • Double park/stand and leave nobody behind the wheel.
  • An emergency services vehicle clearly having no patient in the back is driving slower than I am.
  • Someone parallel parks so that what would have been two spaces can only be used by one. It doesn't bother me at all when folks do that in shopping center lots because, aside from Christmastime, there're always more than enough parking spaces.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Anodite10
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Anodite10's Avatar
 
Drives: with a seat belt on
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Africa

Posts: 1,782
iTrader: (0)

When slower drivers cut in front of you on the highway at the last second, even though they saw you coming from a mile away and had enough of an opportunity to do so in that time.

When I attempt to overtake a slow driver only for them to accelerate to my speed or even faster.

When cars drive right behind me to get me out the way when the slow lane is clearly occupied by trucks/ much slower cars and we're driving in a convoy of traffic. We're not going anywhere buddy..

Having poor reaction times to green lights which leads to only 3 cars getting past the traffic light.
Anodite10 is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Iron Man
Captain
 
Iron Man's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 128i Alpinweiß/Korallenrot
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC

Posts: 613
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
[*]On the highway, pull out of the right lane because they are going 2.5 mph faster than the guy in front of them, who was going at exactly the speed limit, and take the next 15 minutes to pass the SOB. Such folks seem only to need to do that when they can see me approaching from behind and know damn well I'm going to be past them in 20 seconds.
+1000
Iron Man is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #4
budski
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 SSII E92 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Savannah

Posts: 149
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
[*]On the highway, pull out of the right lane because they are going 2.5 mph faster than the guy in front of them, who was going at exactly the speed limit, and take the next 15 minutes to pass the SOB. Such folks seem only to need to do that when they can see me approaching from behind and know damn well I'm going to be past them in 20 seconds.
+1000
Extra douche points for the people who never return to the right lane.
__________________

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
budski is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
CHCCubs
Lieutenant Colonel
 
CHCCubs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posts: 1,744
iTrader: (0)

People that don't accelerate up to speed on highway onramps. Then these same people try to merge with traffic that is going the speed limit or above.
__________________

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
CHCCubs is offline   Latvia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
yousefnjr
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 Z4MR
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 588
iTrader: (0)

Cyclists.
yousefnjr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Reznick
First Lieutenant
 
Reznick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 ,2000 330
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Syracuse NY

Posts: 384
iTrader: (0)

People that feel the need to speed up as you're in the process of passing them, then ride your ass as if you were the one going slow.
Reznick is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Bigrob126
New Member
 
Drives: 2010 328i Coupe Auto
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

The moron in the fast lane that won't get the F out of your way, even though there's nobody in the middle lane! They must feel..." I'm in the fast lane, and here I am a stayin!! This is mainly when i drive from Vegas to CA! I love em!!
Bigrob126 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,505
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrob126 View Post
The moron in the fast lane that won't get the F out of your way, even though there's nobody in the middle lane! They must feel..." I'm in the fast lane, and here I am a stayin!! This is mainly when i drive from Vegas to CA! I love em!!
If the middle lane is open to the point that I could just move to the middle lane, I won't be pissed at the guy who stays in the left.

I know the "customs/rules of the road" call for passing on the left, but the reality is that as long as the situation allows me to move forward, I don't mind being the one who has to change lanes. That's especially so if I'm overtaking a guy in the left lane because after I pass him, I'm most likely headed tot he middle or right lane anyway until I need to pass someone else.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Bigrob126
New Member
 
Drives: 2010 328i Coupe Auto
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
If the middle lane is open to the point that I could just move to the middle lane, I won't be pissed at the guy who stays in the left.

I know the "customs/rules of the road" call for passing on the left, but the reality is that as long as the situation allows me to move forward, I don't mind being the one who has to change lanes. That's especially so if I'm overtaking a guy in the left lane because after I pass him, I'm most likely headed tot he middle or right lane anyway until I need to pass someone else.
Very true, but frustrates me just the same. I had this happen once, so I moved to the middle lane and passed an older man in a mercedes. As I could see him in my rear view, he was flipping me off!
Bigrob126 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,505
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrob126 View Post
Very true, but frustrates me just the same.


I ...passed an older man in a mercedes..., he was flipping me off! [/quote]

He's old. You might have deserved it. (just messin' with ya.)

In defense of old people, due in no small measure to the fact that I hope to be one in 15 years, give 'em a break. They're old. My dad is 95 and still drives, and he drives slowly too, really slowly. When I go out with him and Mother, I drive, regardless of whose car it is we take. Once in a blue moon, Mother wants to go somewhere with Dad and me. When that happens I drive and Dad follows me and we both are going slowly in the right lane.

It's the one time I might be that irritating other driver. Particularly when it comes to approaching yellow lights and spots where there's a merging lane onto the road we are on. I stop for the yellow because I know Dad's not going through it. I don't move over because once Dad's following me, he stops paying attention to how to get to his destination. So if he can't see me right in front of him, he may not see me turn. (It's happened and you'd be surprised how far someone can get in the few seconds it takes for you to make a turn and in your rear view mirror see them go straight and then turn around and hustle to catch up with them.)

Once he's missed a turn, and lost sight of me, I have to then catch up to him, pull along side him and honk so he'll look and see it's me. Then I can get back in front of him and we can continue the trip. He's good with operating his car. He's good with seeing cars around him, but he sees cars, not a blue car, brown car, black car, grey car, etc. They are all just dark cars. Not late model, not old, just dark cars. He knows how to handle the traffic and his car given that there are cars around him.

If we are all going somewhere and he knows how to get there, he doesn't follow me. He drives at his pace, I drive at mine and meet him and Mother there.

As for Mother, I'm sure anyone who knows her today would describe her as a generous, regal, kind, sweet old lady. And to them that's exactly what she is. Around the house with just Dad and me, she's a different woman. There's something about a car, most likely the difficulty of getting out of one while it's moving, or once it's left the neighborhood, that she suddenly must say all the things she might have tried to say at home, but neither Dad nor I felt like listening to, so we just walked away from her and let her keep talking until she got tired of talking to herself. She's 88 and he's 95, so he has to list to her in the car. I don't don't have to and I won't. The last time I was in a car with Mother was 2003.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
ptack
Brigadier General
 
ptack's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 4,243
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.00]
They make it wayyy too easy to have a license in the US. Just drove 400 miles on the Pennsy turnpike yesterday and saw all of the mentioned stupidity. Most of it is general lack of awareness of what they are doing. Unlike other places in life, highways and roads invite everyone and because of their linear nature, driving gets by limited by the dumbest schmucks out there and, sadly, we have a LOT of stupid people out there.
__________________
135i, SGM, Coral, Sport Package, Auto, Premium Hifi, USB/ipod, Apex EC-7s, PPK Stage II
ptack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Deadwrong
Private
 
Deadwrong's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Maryland

Posts: 91
iTrader: (1)

Prius drivers....
__________________
E92 Cobb Stg2+ | VRSF Dp's | BMS DCI | AA Sport FMIC | Morr VS8.2
Deadwrong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
bga23
Dirty old man
 
Drives: 2011.99 e90 Alpine White
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Yeah, but it is a dry heat

Posts: 473
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
So, I know there's no shortage of folks here who are just dying to rant and rave, so here's your thread for it.

It just irritates me when other drivers:
  • On the highway, pull out of the right lane because they are going 2.5 mph faster than the guy in front of them, who was going at exactly the speed limit, and take the next 15 minutes to pass the SOB. Such folks seem only to need to do that when they can see me approaching from behind and know damn well I'm going to be past them in 20 seconds.
  • Won't signal a turn until they have to stop at the light and there's no dedicated left or right turn signal. So now, there's a line of folks stuck behind them while they wait for traffic (left turns) or pedestrians (right turns).
  • Move in front of me (or someone else) in rush hour traffic, without increasing their speed, when it's clear I was going faster than they to begin with, and then step on the brake.
  • Double park/stand and leave nobody behind the wheel.
  • An emergency services vehicle clearly having no patient in the back is driving slower than I am.
  • Someone parallel parks so that what would have been two spaces can only be used by one. It doesn't bother me at all when folks do that in shopping center lots because, aside from Christmastime, there're always more than enough parking spaces.
Essentially, when someone gets in your way.
__________________
2012 Ford Raptor
2011 AW e90 - For sale
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016269
bga23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
lance@velosdesignwerks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: R34 GTR
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Miami, Fl

Posts: 1,233
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to lance@velosdesignwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
People that feel the need to speed up as you're in the process of passing them, then ride your ass as if you were the one going slow.
this is definitely my number one pet peeve....
lance@velosdesignwerks is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #16
funkle
Private First Class
 
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SF CA

Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

I could probably go on for pages, but my top ones are:

-People who don't signal to change lanes. Particularly if it is as they cut me off.

-I pull up the a 4-way stop first, and another guy gets there a a second later, and runs the stop sign because I'm already stopped. Usually no real inconvenience, it's just the principle of it. But sometimes the crazy buss drivers in my city do this and make a turn so I'm stuck behind them - this really pisses me off.

-Someone tooling along in the fast lane at a slow pace, causing a huge traffic jam.

-Basically, as George Carlin said it, anyone who is going faster, or slower than me


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrob126 View Post
The moron in the fast lane that won't get the F out of your way, even though there's nobody in the middle lane! They must feel..." I'm in the fast lane, and here I am a stayin!! This is mainly when i drive from Vegas to CA! I love em!!
One of the coolest driving experiences I ever had was when we rented a car in the south of France. Some of the best road etiquette I've ever seen. People are vigilant about keeping out of the left lane, probably because there used to people coming up at 120. It was just a whole different level there, wonderful espresso & cheese at the rest stops, gas pumps that can fill a car in less than a minute. Very cool. Unfortunately I was driving a 60hp diesel.

Last edited by funkle; 08-20-2013 at 01:06 AM.
funkle is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
2PInZ
New Member
 
Drives: 2007 328xi Black/Black
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United States

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

i think most things have been covered...but another one that really bothers me here in northern VA is when people become infants when approaching a toll booth. The signs are clearly marked from a good distance away...it's like, if you don't have money or aren't sure what to do, go to the full service lane! Don't slow down to 5mph in the EZPass lane as you mentally break down and try to figure the puzzle out...
2PInZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #18
mullini
Mullini
 
mullini's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 X1 sDrive28i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Redondo Beach CA

Posts: 147
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkle View Post
I could probably go on for pages, but my top ones are:

-People who don't signal to change lanes. Particularly if it is as they cut me off.
Funny to me, because I am a new BMW driver as of last November. And for years previous, I would have sworn that BMWs did not come equipped with turn signals, despite being an upscale car ;-)

My biggest complaint is people who make others pay for their mistake. They discover they need to make a turn and hold up traffic while they force their way into the turn lane. Or they don't realize (or care) that they are in a turn only lane, so they hold up everyone behind them who does want to turn while they wait for a chance to merge back into traffic.

If you made the mistake, take the responsibility. Make the turn you didn't want and then do a U. Don't hold up others who know what they are doing.

Yup! That's gonna happen ;-)
mullini is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,505
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
Funny to me, because I am a new BMW driver as of last November. And for years previous, I would have sworn that BMWs did not come equipped with turn signals, despite being an upscale car ;-)

My biggest complaint is people who make others pay for their mistake. They discover they need to make a turn and hold up traffic while they force their way into the turn lane. Or they don't realize (or care) that they are in a turn only lane, so they hold up everyone behind them who does want to turn while they wait for a chance to merge back into traffic.

If you made the mistake, take the responsibility. Make the turn you didn't want and then do a U. Don't hold up others who know what they are doing.

Yup! That's gonna happen ;-)
+1
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,257
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I forget who said it, it could have been the late David E Davis, but they stated that their goal when driving was to not cause anyone else to have to unduly use their brakes. If everyone practiced that approach, we'd all be a lot happier behind the wheel.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135is
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MD/DC/VA

Posts: 213
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwrong View Post
Prius drivers....
YES!!!!
Bigiggs is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
j_marinelli
Private
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Antonio

Posts: 90
iTrader: (2)

too many to list them all but here are a few:

-the person that parks in the handicap spots, or at our store we have a motorcycle section and there is usually a car there taking up 2 or 3 of them.

-the person that enters the highway and automatically swerves over to the far left lane, cuts off anyone, and than goes 5-10 miles under the speed limit.

-the obvious phone talking, makeup applier, food eating bone head that likes to drive by braille.... and you finally get by them and they look at you like your the A hole.

-the gravel trucks that don't put the tarp over their load.

-and finally a new one that happen to me not to long ago. the person the that trails the wide load with the flashing lights. I get that they want to block the lane next to the truck but when it splits to 3 lanes and you ride the middle so you can make it so no one will pass.... come one man!!!
j_marinelli is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST