BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #45
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
 
dbjb's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NorCal

Posts: 2,001
iTrader: (22)

Haven't tried this yet but as a father of 2 preteens, it makes me think twice. On occasion, I've run into the grocery store with my 12 year old in the car. Never did it on a hot day but when done, we always lock the car for her safety. Sometimes she's locks it. Sometimes I. Now, what if I had an accident somehow inside the store. My daughter may have been put in trapped and in danger?! That's a scary thought.

For those questioning the intelligence of this little girl, shame on you. You don't know the circumstance. Perhaps she didn't have strength. Perhaps she figured her brother would soon return. Perhaps by the time she realized she was in danger, she couldn't react appropriately. Who knows. Either way its tragic.
dbjb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #46
BMWrules7
Major
 
Drives: 2011 750Li, Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston Area

Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjb
Haven't tried this yet but as a father of 2 preteens, it makes me think twice. On occasion, I've run into the grocery store with my 12 year old in the car. Never did it on a hot day but when done, we always lock the car for her safety. Sometimes she's locks it. Sometimes I. Now, what if I had an accident somehow inside the store. My daughter may have been put in trapped and in danger?! That's a scary thought.

For those questioning the intelligence of this little girl, shame on you. You don't know the circumstance. Perhaps she didn't have strength. Perhaps she figured her brother would soon return. Perhaps by the time she realized she was in danger, she couldn't react appropriately. Who knows. Either way its tragic.
Agreed. She could have fallen asleep.
BMWrules7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #47
davjo68
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Sport Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dallas TX

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Well that settles it then. Your extensive knowledge on the central locking system of 15 year old cars combined with your objective experimentation on modern vehicles solves the mystery.

Never-mind the BMW published documentation that contradicts your statements and let's forget about the testimony of people that actually drove the vehicle in question when new. Instead, we will all roll over and play dead whilst we take your word for it.
I never said I was speaking to the specific car in the story, only to my experience with my F30 and the experience I had with an E90 that had a malfunction (that was later corrected by BMW, though I don't know the specifics of the exact repairs required.) I then stated my opinion of BMW engineering and the story that started this thread, sorry if I didn't make it perfectly clear to you that those statements were my opinion.
davjo68 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #48
Blubaron79
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Blubaron79's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 435 XDrive
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA

Posts: 1,836
iTrader: (0)

Why couldn't she press BMW assist? I'm assuming she didn't know..
__________________
'14 435 XDrive: Mineral Grey, MSport, 19's, Coral Leather, Alum. Trim, Every option (except Active Cruise), MPPK, black grille, clear bra.
Blubaron79 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #49
BMWrules7
Major
 
Drives: 2011 750Li, Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston Area

Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79
Why couldn't she press BMW assist? I'm assuming she didn't know..
That's what I was thinking initially, but one poster pointed out that it was a '97 328i.

My kids were concerned about this. Even though many posters feel this is no longer a potential danger.

We tried to come up with ideas for 12 year olds to exit a locked car. We thought about kicking the windshield. We also talked about where to kick. The windshield is strongest at its center.

We also talked about using the seatbelt clip as brass knuckles and punching a window.

Any other ideas?
BMWrules7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #50
Weaselboy
Major
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i F30 Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal USA

Posts: 1,096
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Any other ideas?
Buy one of these things and keep it in the glovebox? It cuts off seat belts and can break out a windshield.

Weaselboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #51
sn3rd
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 F30 335i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Africa

Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)

Just tried this in my 2013 335i. No comfort access.

The car locks, the unlock button on the dash does not work, the door handles do not work, regardless of the number of times that I pull them. Ignition does not work, and so no electric windows.

Pretty scary!

I would be interested to know more about the "special knowledge" that is required.

Edit: the alarm did start going nuts after a bit. When it did, I still could not open the car. However it is pretty loud, so to the point of this thread, I would think someone would have noticed and helped the girl?
sn3rd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #52
bcl0328
Major
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD

Posts: 1,145
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Buy one of these things and keep it in the glovebox? It cuts off seat belts and can break out a windshield.

or if you are in a car without one, use the metal part of your seat belt.
bcl0328 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #53
jdong
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NorCal

Posts: 503
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn3rd
Just tried this in my 2013 335i. No comfort access.

The car locks, the unlock button on the dash does not work, the door handles do not work, regardless of the number of times that I pull them. Ignition does not work, and so no electric windows.

Pretty scary!

I would be interested to know more about the "special knowledge" that is required.

Edit: the alarm did start going nuts after a bit. When it did, I still could not open the car. However it is pretty loud, so to the point of this thread, I would think someone would have noticed and helped the girl?
The alarm package isn't standard in the 328i...
__________________
jdong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #54
izzyM3
Lieutenant
 
izzyM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southbay

Posts: 482
iTrader: (2)

2013 328i, no comfort access no alarm. My awesome wife locked me in. The unlock button in the dash does not work but I was able to gets out with two pulls from the side lever.
izzyM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #55
Kabrich
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida

Posts: 518
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Buy one of these things and keep it in the glovebox? It cuts off seat belts and can break out a windshield.

Glovebox is too far away and impossible to get to if water is rushing in after one drives into a pond/lake and one needs to cut seatbelt.

As a result I keep mine in the Driver's door storage area.
__________________
Kabrich is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #56
Kabrich
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida

Posts: 518
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Well, I am a systems guy. If you note, I am blaming a "thing" and not a person.

I see this issue as having been reasonably foreseeable.
Using your logic for "BMW kills 14 Year Old", all drunk drivers who injury or kill anyone should immediately be set free as they did not actually injury or kill anyone - the car did it.
__________________
Kabrich is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #57
roundel335
Brigadier General
 
roundel335's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

Posts: 3,472
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
The BMW didn't kill the girl - the shitforbrained idiot who locked her in the car killed her!
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #58
BMWrules7
Major
 
Drives: 2011 750Li, Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston Area

Posts: 1,023
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Well, I am a systems guy. If you note, I am blaming a "thing" and not a person.

I see this issue as having been reasonably foreseeable.
Using your logic for "BMW kills 14 Year Old", all drunk drivers who injury or kill anyone should immediately be set free as they did not actually injury or kill anyone - the car did it.
Lol, I see your point.

But, doesn't it all come down to intent. If the BMW key fob had a label on the lock button that said, "trap all occupants until dead," then you'd be correct.

Instead, the button is said to "lock" the car and not "trap all occupants until dead." So, when the person Iocked the car with the child in it, I am pretty sure he or she thought no great harm would come to her.

Now, why do I blame the vehicle rather than the person? Because, by blaming the vehicle we shine light on the questionable design rather than the silly proposition that the person locking the car wanted to cause harm to the occupant.
BMWrules7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #59
Steve33
Captain
 
Steve33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal

Posts: 672
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Buy one of these things and keep it in the glovebox? It cuts off seat belts and can break out a windshield.

I scrolled down the page fast, that didn't look like one of those safety tools...
__________________
Steve33 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #60
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel
 
snowghost's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
The BMW didn't kill the girl - the shitforbrained idiot who locked her in the car killed her!
He probably locked the car to protect his little sister and was obviously totally ignorant of how the security system works.

I read the manual as well about the "special knowledge", but didn't realize how locked down it really is never having tried it.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|LCSW|ZDH|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|5AC|4 15|688|Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
snowghost is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #61
roundel335
Brigadier General
 
roundel335's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

Posts: 3,472
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Nonetheless - you don't lock a child in a car, period! Take the kid with you, but never leave a kid in a car like that.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #62
Jbrock22
Private First Class
 
Jbrock22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328I Sport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastern PA

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

No problem getting out

My wife locked me in, CC unlock does not work but the door handles do.
F30 2012 328i
Jbrock22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #63
RedlinePSI
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2014 335i Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Queens, NY

Posts: 191
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
That's what I was thinking initially, but one poster pointed out that it was a '97 328i.

My kids were concerned about this. Even though many posters feel this is no longer a potential danger.

We tried to come up with ideas for 12 year olds to exit a locked car. We thought about kicking the windshield. We also talked about where to kick. The windshield is strongest at its center.

We also talked about using the seatbelt clip as brass knuckles and punching a window.

Any other ideas?
The "windshield", or the side windows? I think if you are trying to bust out, the side windows would be a better target no? Some people claim that since the front windshield is only secured with adhesive it can be pushed out (with ALOT of effort). I dunno about that, I still think i'd rather spend my energy breaking through the side. Kicking is an obvious good choice, but also using your elbow is a really good option. Possibly the best option, at least for somebody with the strength.
RedlinePSI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #64
Kabrich
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida

Posts: 518
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
But, doesn't it all come down to intent. If the BMW key fob had a label on the lock button that said, "trap all occupants until dead," then you'd be correct.

Instead, the button is said to "lock" the car and not "trap all occupants until dead." So, when the person Iocked the car with the child in it, I am pretty sure he or she thought no great harm would come to her.

Now, why do I blame the vehicle rather than the person? Because, by blaming the vehicle we shine light on the questionable design rather than the silly proposition that the person locking the car wanted to cause harm to the occupant.
Your argument still says all Drunk Drivers should be immediately released as the start button is labeled "start" not "run down innocent victims". The drunk drivers are pretty sure no harm would come to anyone else either.

You used a Thread Topic that is very misleading and essentially incorrect. If you had titled it "14 Year old killed while trapped in BMW" you would have been correct, but you decided to use a sensational, hyped and incorrect topic.
__________________
Kabrich is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #65
elistan
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Longmont, CO

Posts: 313
iTrader: (0)

I'm not sure that kicking a side window would be all that effective.





I'm not sure about the seat-belt cutter thing either. (NSFW language)

elistan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #66
trey100
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 335xi Msport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 450
iTrader: (0)

BMW is somewhat to blame as I am sure no one could have predicted that the car would go into such a lock down mode. In fact, enthusiasts here have had to run experiments to see that this was actually true. And for what reason does the car need to go into this lockdown mode?? To catch a burglar? Really?
trey100 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST