View Single Post
      02-20-2023, 07:04 AM   #1
Jebuzz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 316D

Exclamation [BMW F30 316D N47] White Smoke When Hot/ Hard accel

Hi everyone.

This is my first post, so forgive me if I mess up anything.

I recently bought a 2012 f30 with a N47 engine.

This car has been reprogrammed to around 150hp, I don't know, but that might be relevant.

Oil consumption is ok, oil level has been steady.

After driving around 10k Km, I've noticed the following. Under hard acceleration (flooring it) the engine smokes white smoke from the engine bay area, not the exhaust. It doesn't matter if it's hot or not. If I floor it it will smoke, if I don't it won't (or I can't tell it's doing it).

At first I thought it was the VGC, did a full engine clean and there's no oil coming from the passenger side near the exhaust.

I've checked the return hose from the injectors and it is dry. There was also this hose coming from the fuel pump and that one is also ok.

Did notice when there was smoke, there was also some fluid (which I assume is diesel) pool (you can tell there's like a small puddle) near the injectors.

Driving normally, no hard accelerations there's usually no smoke. But once I drove for a long time pretty fast at high revs and when I got to the destination I noticed I was trailing white smoke and it was also coming from the engine bay and some of it was entering the cabin.

The smoke smells like diesel.

One time I did clean the splash guard below the engine and while washing it noticed it was drenched with diesel.

Also in the oil pan, near the screw there's usually a diesel drop dripping at the bolt, which I assume is dripping from the top of the engine down ( I think it's diesel because it's a clear liquid and not black)

I have 2 hypothesis regarding this.

The first one is that the injector's copper seals need replacement or the gaskets on the VCG for the injectors, and with hard acceleration, there's more pressure so they're just letting the fuel leak from that seal to the top of the valve cover and it pools there. However, I don't understand how it drips from that point to the exhaust manifold or near hot engine parts to make it smoke. But the fact that there's diesel near the oil pan, proves it is dripping somewhere.

The second is I have either a cracked valve cover, or the gasket is worn and I just don't know what diesel smells like.

I'm kind at a loss on this one. I'm waiting on UV ink that I'll be putting in the fuel tank, and that way I hope I can tell where it is dripping.

Do you think the repo might be the problem? I don't know if there's an increase in fuel pressure when the engine gets reprogramed.

I'm tempted to order a new Valve cover with gaskets and the copper seals and just replace the entire thing.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'll try to post pictures/ a video from below the engine as soon as I can.

Pedro
Appreciate 0