E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Still want an EV? (NO POLITICS)

02-06-2023, 01:32 AM   #1189
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
No one said in 2030 ice cars would magically disappear.

Not many car makers are wasting time going with hybrids, a lot of them are going straight to ev.

Hell gm just introduced a new v8 that’ll go into the c9 generation. But most likely a hybrid so ice will still be around but they’ll be hanging by a thread.

You have time to find your best ice car and hold onto it when all new car sales will be ev. There’s still time.
The present gov. is planning to ban the sale of all new gas and diesel cars here in '30.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502959.00
      02-06-2023, 05:37 AM   #1190
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I think you're forgetting that a lot (if not most) people aren't buying Tesla's b/c they want an EV, they buy them b/c it's a status symbol.

That's like saying some Yeezy shoes outsold your run of the mill Adidas. That doesn't mean the Yeezy is a better shoe...
Not all all.

What ev provides the performance, range and network all in one? At its price point?

I’ll wait.

People buy them because it’s an EV THAT WORKS. Other ev’s are either all 100k+ or really cheap but dog shit slow with shitty range and without the tesla network.

If the cars suck so bad, why are people buying them? They’re actually expensive when you compare prices of them years ago.

Has nothing to do with status or is it now? What status is that? I thought Tesla isn’t a luxury brand?

I don’t consider my model 3 luxurious at all.

I just know I’m driving the leading car maker when it comes to ev’s. It’s a superior brand to those who are trying.

It’ll be like that for a while.
      02-06-2023, 05:51 AM   #1191
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
thats just the way I talk, at least I don't spew bullshit to prove my pointless "point" on a internet forum. but great personal attack when your shit was called out. its okay buddy. your judgements and telling people to take benzos are a clear indication how you think
Not at all. You’re just the guy that stands up in the middle of the room because he hears something he doesn’t like, spews profanities in every direction without making a point other than you’re irritated, and then storms out of the room. I merely called you on it. You remind me of one of my cousins in Boston. Seems to me cussing at everyone is a hell of a lot bigger personal attack then me telling you to chill out.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 05:53 AM   #1192
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
The present gov. is planning to ban the sale of all new gas and diesel cars here in '30.
He knows that brother. He’s also good with it. He also would like to see the same thing happen in the United States, and is banking on it, that it will happen.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66332.50
      02-06-2023, 07:09 AM   #1193
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Idk about liking to see it happen.

I’m ok with it whether it happens or not. I have an ev so I’m good.

The difference is it’s going to happen regardless. That’s the part that’s not getting through everyone’s head.
      02-06-2023, 08:20 AM   #1194
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Not at all. You’re just the guy that stands up in the middle of the room because he hears something he doesn’t like, spews profanities in every direction without making a point other than you’re irritated, and then storms out of the room. I merely called you on it. You remind me of one of my cousins in Boston. Seems to me cussing at everyone is a hell of a lot bigger personal attack then me telling you to chill out.
"hears something he doesn't like"

Patton~ "the g8x is the best selling m3 of all time"

pretty sure that's not a fact bud, not something I don't like

you are the kind of person who has to judge people when called out on your incorrect statements, and then project your feelings onto others with the guise that you are cool as a cucumber.

anyways the "point" of my post was yall just justifying your luxury purchases, to others on this forum, why? you think you can somehow justify an m3 as a logical decision over a corolla. a hermes bag over a walmart purse. no one is saving the planet, everyone can say something is ugly/not, everyone has an opinion. however, how much a car sells per generation is not an opinion

just human behavior I guess
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 08:27 AM   #1195
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
"hears something he doesn't like"

Patton~ "the g8x is the best selling m3 of all time"

pretty sure that's not a fact bud, not something I don't like

you are the kind of person who has to judge people when called out on your incorrect statements, and then project your feelings onto others with the guise that you are cool as a cucumber.

anyways the "point" of my post was yall just justifying your luxury purchases, to others on this forum, why? you think you can somehow justify an m3 as a logical decision over a corolla. a hermes bag over a walmart purse. no one is saving the planet, everyone can say something is ugly/not, everyone has an opinion. however, how much a car sells per generation is not an opinion

just human behavior I guess
I apologize but I stopped reading your rant after the first somewhat organized paragraph. It is the number one selling M3 of all time. Try using the Internet. I’ll forgive you. After all you’re from Philadelphia.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 08:31 AM   #1196
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I apologize but I stopped reading your rant after the first somewhat organized paragraph. It is the number one selling M3 of all time. Try using the Internet. I’ll forgive you. After all you’re from Philadelphia.
alright, a car that has been in production for less than 2 years is the best selling of all time. right
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 08:37 AM   #1197
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
alright, a car that has been in production for less than 2 years is the best selling of all time. right
You can laugh all you want. I’m talking about initial numbers from the launch. That seems to be a difficult concept for you. It’s first year production sold more cars than the F 80s first year of production. Did that make it easier for you? I realize the public school system in America is messed up but good grief man. At least you have the Internet now so you’re without excuse.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 08:44 AM   #1198
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
The difference is it’s going to happen regardless. That’s the part that’s not getting through everyone’s head.
It may surprise you to find how many people in the forum actually know and understand (I for one know full well it will, it was never even a question), its the question of when and how

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      02-06-2023, 08:48 AM   #1199
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
It may surprise you to find how many people in the forum actually know and understand (I for one know full well it will, it was never even a question), its the question of when and how
Let me ask you a question. Does it bother you that the reason you are right in your statement is because it’s being forced through law and not through normal consumer demand?
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66332.50
      02-06-2023, 08:48 AM   #1200
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well, you are obviously are in the minority on that. It’s the number one selling M3 of all time. As an outsider, I think the G 80 is incredibly beautiful from all angles. Most people I know do also. As far as Tesla goes, most people, I ask, don’t have an opinion either way only those in the fad seem to have opinions on them. I also don’t think it’s just Tesla that’s ugly. Every freaking fully electric vehicle I have seen on the market with the exception of this really awesome looking Audi are all ugly as shit. It’s almost as if they set ugly as a guideline for all electric vehicles.

Now this is a good looking EV. If I didn’t already have an M5 on its way, I might look at getting this Audi. I suspect it’s well-built also unlike Tesla.
https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/mo.../overview.html
Quote:
You can laugh all you want. I’m talking about initial numbers from the launch. That seems to be a difficult concept for you. It’s first year production sold more cars than the F 80s first year of production. Did that make it easier for you? I realize the public school system in America is messed up but good grief man. At least you have the Internet now so you’re without excuse.
and now the goalpost is moved. once again bud its okay...it doesn't matter what people like, as long as you like it. you must have some serious insecurities that you keep projecting on me.
Appreciate 1
chris7197535.00
      02-06-2023, 08:50 AM   #1201
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
and now the goalpost is moved. once again bud its okay...it doesn't matter what people like, as long as you like it. you must have some serious insecurities that you keep projecting on me.
Are you really arguing semantics? OK man. Let’s just agree to disagree. I bet we can agree on something. I bet we both hope the Philadelphia eagles crush the Kansas City Chiefs Sunday. Are you with me?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 09:24 AM   #1202
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
How shouldn’t be a concern. You either adapt or you don’t.

When is already stated. 2030 or 2035 for the US.
      02-06-2023, 09:56 AM   #1203
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
People buy them because it’s an EV THAT WORKS. Other ev’s are either all 100k+ or really cheap but dog shit slow with shitty range and without the tesla network.

If the cars suck so bad, why are people buying them? They’re actually expensive when you compare prices of them years ago.

Has nothing to do with status or is it now? What status is that? I thought Tesla isn’t a luxury brand?

I don’t consider my model 3 luxurious at all.

I just know I’m driving the leading car maker when it comes to ev’s. It’s a superior brand to those who are trying.
You're drinking the Tesla kool-aid and suckling on that Elon teet, that's fine.

You also completely ignored what I said. Just because YOU don't think they're a status symbol or luxury doesn't mean jack.

BTW, the KIA EV6 not only charges faster but can also use all chargers that use the STANDARDIZED J1772 plug, unlike Tesla with their proprietary connector. Kia is utilizing an 800v architecture whereas Tesla is stuck on 400v, meaning the EV6 or Ioniq can go from 10% to 80% in ~15 minutes. You probably wouldn't consider it though, because "Ew it's a Kia..."
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN14208.00
      02-06-2023, 10:06 AM   #1204
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Tesla includes a j1772 plug with their cars what do you mean?

It’s also faster to 60.

You can hate tesla all you want, they’re still the leader in ev sales period.
      02-06-2023, 10:15 AM   #1205
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Tesla includes a j1772 plug with their cars what do you mean?

It’s also faster to 60.

You can hate tesla all you want, they’re still the leader in ev sales period.
Tesla chargers DONT utilize J1772, meaning ONLY Teslas can use them. The whole "charging infrastructure" argument is dumb, Tesla doesn't care about advancing EV tech and trying to convert more people over if all they're going to use is proprietary connectors. They care about SALES numbers, pretty easy logic to follow if you have more than 2 brain cells. If they were serious about that, they would've used the standardized plug.

You once again ignored what I said. Hope your shotty build quality treats you well in your Model 3!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 10:18 AM   #1206
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
You're drinking the Tesla kool-aid and suckling on that Elon teet, that's fine.

You also completely ignored what I said. Just because YOU don't think they're a status symbol or luxury doesn't mean jack.

BTW, the KIA EV6 not only charges faster but can also use all chargers that use the STANDARDIZED J1772 plug, unlike Tesla with their proprietary connector. Kia is utilizing an 800v architecture whereas Tesla is stuck on 400v, meaning the EV6 or Ioniq can go from 10% to 80% in ~15 minutes. You probably wouldn't consider it though, because "Ew it's a Kia..."
I pretty much only charge at home and use the 110v super slow charger at that. However I did take a road trip from FL to NC in the model 3 once and have used the occasional supercharger outside of that trip.

That being said everything I have experienced, read and seen from other people online is that the Tesla charging network is vastly superior to what's available for other EVs. Just for starters that J1772 plug is clunky as fuck. While the Tesla plug may not be "standard" it's a far better user experience. There also isn't a whole bunch of different charge networks for which you need to have accounts for each etc. The integration into the Tesla nav etc is significantly better (from what I've read). So the Kia could probably charge faster in an ideal world with max charger output etc. I'm not sure that if my main concern with an EV purchase was being able to charge quickly on the road that I would consider anything other than a Tesla.

As I personally don't really care about that I would certainly consider the Kia or the new Hyundais, but I would care more about total range than charging capabilities. I also like many of the features of the Tesla (which may or may not be available in others) like using the phone as the key, the phone app to control AC etc. I saw a video of some EV, can't remember which, where they had to push the "ignition" button to start it. Why?
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2023, 10:18 AM   #1207
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tesla chargers DONT utilize J1772, meaning ONLY Teslas can use them. The whole "charging infrastructure" argument is dumb, Tesla doesn't care about advancing EV tech and trying to convert more people over if all they're going to use is proprietary connectors. They care about SALES numbers, pretty easy logic to follow if you have more than 2 brain cells. If they were serious about that, they would've used the standardized plug.

You once again ignored what I said. Hope your shotty build quality treats you well in your Model 3!
What are you saying? If I road trip my model 3 and for some odd reason I can’t find a supercharger because they are everywhere, I can go to a standard charging station and use the adapter Tesla provides.

Whereas if you took your ev6 you can’t use the tesla supercharger network. At least not yet I don’t think. Maybe Elon will be kind enough to allow non teslas use his network somehow.

I didn’t ignore what you said, I already shitted on it.

Tesla is the leader in ev period. Best performance, range and network for its price period.

Have fun.
      02-06-2023, 10:35 AM   #1208
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [9.25]
IX  [8.67]
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/lat...ther-brand-evs

In the UK...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 10:47 AM   #1209
991C2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, Porsche 911, VW GTI

I hate EVs. They are BORING!
Yup, they're VERY quick in a straight line, but after that trick - what then?

No engine sound
No shifting
No rev matching
No skill needed

Right now, I want nothing to do with them. I had my Porsche in for service and they inadvertently turned off the sound for the speakers. It took me two months to realize it since I never use the radio. I listen to flat-6, twin-turbo bliss.

The driver interaction is what I'm looking for and EVs are the exact opposite. I had someone argue that it's the "latest technology so it's the best." I said so once auto-driving is the latest and greatest technology you'll be buying on of those since it's the best.

A neighbor of mine has had four Tesla's over the years. He's had quite a few issues with them (yes, real world issues with build quality).
Instead of the pie-in-the-sky nit-whit wanting to colonize Mars, he should actually build the best cars he can build and save the Earth we live on. He's spending billions of dollars to go to Mars. What a waste.

It's funny how this thread has turned into who can charge quicker. There's a long way to go with this technology. Pick-up trucks getting 100 miles when towing or an electric RV that only goes 100 miles is NOT the answer.

Hydrogen anyone?
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2023, 11:00 AM   #1210
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Let me ask you a question. Does it bother you that the reason you are right in your statement is because it’s being forced through law and not through normal consumer demand?
No, because I am fully aware that these EV rules are going to shift to the whims of the government in power, economic conditions, infrastructure conditions, material availability. When has any modern government actually deliver their promises on time, well maybe other than raising taxes, they are always on the ball on those.

Also, pivoting over is just a matter of looking for a car when the conditions meet our needs. Currently I do not see it.

Quote:
How shouldn’t be a concern. You either adapt or you don’t.
When is already stated. 2030 or 2035 for the US.
Let’s be honest, that’s still 7-12 years away, my kid will be leaving high school then, I am just not convinced yet on a user level. I am in no rush to jump in on technology that is simply, still got many iterations to go before it is anywhere near its peak.

Again, with the 2030-2035, I’ll believe it when it is far closer to the date. It’s just buying a car when the time is right and it meets my needs. None of the current crop of offerings meets both mine and the wife's list.

Of course, that's my take, it works for you then more power to you.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 1